• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Here is a "What would you do" question

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I have been tossing around trying to find a new (91-96) XJ sometime in the fall. It will be an automatic tranny.

I am guessing that most of the XJ's I find around here will have 3.55 or 3.07 gears...probably 3.55.

I currently have an '85 5-speed with the D30/35 combo and factory 3.73 gears.

If were to find a newer XJ with higher gears, would I be better off trying to find a D44 rear with gears that match the front (again, most likely a 3.55), or swap the 3.73 axles out of the 1985.

Regrearing lower than a 3.73 WILL NOT BE AN OPTION!!!

I plan to run 3-4 inches of lift with 31's on the next XJ. just as I am in the 1985. I haven't really had any problems with that set up (3.73, 31", 3") on the 1985.

Any opinions on the axle situation would be appreciated.

Thanks...this will give me something to mull over for awhile.

Forgot to mention....

When this truck will be on the street, I run a spare set of factory sized street tires, and the 31's sit in the garage.

Ok...but I won't buy a 5 speed. I already have one of those. I will be buying an automatic.

Does your 85 have a disconnect front axle? If it's a 5-speed, I assume it does.

If you buy a 91 thru 96, it will NOT have a disconnect front axle, and it won't have a vacuum port on the transfer case to which to connect the 85 disconnect shift motor. So if you swap in the 85 front axle, you'll either have to (a) rig a vacuum line and vacuum switch; (b) buy or make up a posi-lok type cable actuator; or (c) permanently engage the shift motor and shim it that way. You'll have all the disadvantages of a disconnect axle, with none of the (dubious) advantages.

On the other hand, if you hold out for a 95 or 96, you'll get a front axle with the larger and stronger axle u-joints, and you may get a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle. If you get a late 96, you might even get a 29-spline 8.25.

With an automatic, you can run 31s with the 3.55 gears, and they'll be more comfortable with the smaller street tires. Is it possible to keep the 3.73 axles, or would you have to swap the new axles into the 85 to dispose of the shell? If possible, I think I'd assume keeping the new vehicle stock, but try to keep the old axles "just in case."

Why not go find a couple of D44's and build them at home in preperation for the new XJ....at your leisure...

Back