• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 to 85 swap

xjeeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey does anyone out there know if it is possable to swap a '00 4.0L into a '85 2.5L ?? I have a buddie who rolled his 00 and totaly trashed it-- but since he had no insurance he's stuck with a heap of junk-- I was thinking hey why not put that good new 4.oL in to replace my old worn out 2.5.... is this something that ould be possable to do withall of the electrical stuff ect. of is this just wishfull thinking???

Original alias......and welcome from a fellow Utahn.

Can you swap this into an 85? Sure, but it's not exactly cut and paste. Can you salvage everything under the hood, including radiator? The wiring is gonna be a challenge, and there are some differences in the body since 85. I'm interested in the drivetrain as well, let me know where you're located.

yeah everything is good-- we drove it on the freeway about 80 after we took a hi lift to it. I'm in logan/ ephraim right now--- I'll be doing the work in logan this summer..

I put a 4.7L stroker into my 85XJ. It is possible but it is a lot of work. For most folks, finding a 87+ with a blown 4.0L would be a much easier route. Here is a short list of issues.

You will have to cut the existing sheetmetal that holds the radiator and headlights.
You will have to get new sheetmetal from a later model.
The hood has to change along with all the hardware and release cable
The gas tank/fuel pump has to change.
The firewall needs to be moved back a bit with a bfh.
The complete wiring harness needs to be swapped.
The tranny needs to be swapped.
The transfer case will need to be swapped
The driveshaft lengths have to change
The cross member has to move
The exhaust is totally different.
The battery tray is different along with every engine accessory with the exception of the ignition module.
If you run A/C the hoses have to change
You will have to scrounge all of these parts, so finding a dead later model that has all of them might be your best and easiest path. Which every way you go, keep me posted and take lots of pix.

There would be alot that would go into it, but it sounds your buddy has most of the parts that you would need. It just depends on how much he wants to charge you for most of his jeep. Assuming that the body took the bulk of the blows.

he's gonna charge fifty bucks-- it seems that all of the stuff that old man has listed above is in good condition so I guess i just need to dedicate a few long days (weeks) and I would be in business?? ha ha that's what I like to hear.. what else does every one have to say??

ok so my biggest fear is transfering the wireing harness from the one to the other.. Any hints on how to do this easy??

GOOD LUCK MAN, wouldnt be worth it for me. I picked up my 95 with fresh reman engine for a song.

Just for your info, the sheetmetal, hood, header, gas tank and possibly the exhaust from the 2000 will not swap from what I can tell. You will need those from a similar body style.

Back