• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Back Wheelwells

GodlovesXJs

NAXJA Forum User
Hi by the way, this is my first post on naxja, but I've got a few questions already.

Does anyone know about how much space is above the metal wheelwell liner in the rear?

Because I was thinking of doing some more trimming this summer, probably about another inch. But it'd be nice to know if it was possible just to cut up that extra inch then move up the piece of metal and reweld it into place.

I'd also like to cut my lower rear quarters like

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29750&highlight=fender+cutting

Has anyone done that with a 97+ because I have a 98 and there's an extra bracket in there, and I could just remove the bracket and do it exactly like every other year model, but would that sacrifice strength anymore than previous year models or is it exactly the same with just another bracket?

I guess that's about it, any help would be appreciated.

Im not sure what you mean, but I cut about 3'' when I did the rear of mine. Just take off the interior panels and its easier to see. I did the quater panels too, and its fine. That write up helped a lot. I think welding is going to be better then rivits, but its your Jeep. Btw, 89 2 door.

Picture056.jpg

What I started with. Pass. side looking forward.

IM002333.jpg

After quarter panel was cut, inside.

IM002361.jpg

Half way done. Pass side looking back, outside

CindysBday016.jpg

Done and painted

Thats with 4.5'' RE lift on 32'' MTRs
Let me know ifu have any questions.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but what's to be gained in doing this to the side panels? You've still got the rear bumer, shackles, and gas tank back there to contend with if it's an attempt to better the departure angle.

Robert

XJWheelie said:
I'm not trying to be a smartass, but what's to be gained in doing this to the side panels? You've still got the rear bumer, shackles, and gas tank back there to contend with if it's an attempt to better the departure angle.

Robert

It's for when you are twisted up coming out of a rut. This is a TJ, so it has even more room than a Cherokee and he dented the bottom of his passenger rear corner on this spot. That makes us 5 dented corners in 4 trip through this rut.

shaunair.JPG

shaunair2.JPG

Thanks Star, you answered my question entirely actually.

And yeah, the reason for the quarter panels is it's the only place on my Jeep that I regularly beat the shit out of and they're just big dents right now anyway.

How do you post pics? I am new to this forum stuff and it takes some getting used to. My Cherokee is an 89 2d. A buddy of mine and myself cut out the rear wheelwells and I would like to post pics of it.

afd516 said:
How do you post pics? I am new to this forum stuff and it takes some getting used to. My Cherokee is an 89 2d. A buddy of mine and myself cut out the rear wheelwells and I would like to post pics of it.
There are several sites that you can use, or you could shell out and become a member. I use photobucket.com

Starboard M said:
There are several sites that you can use, or you could shell out and become a member. I use photobucket.com
As I mentioned I am new to this forum stuff. I looked through the site and I can not find anything about becoming a member. Where is that info? I am interested in becoming a member. Thanks. By the way, I am not computer literate. So I appreciate any help.

afd516 said:
I cut out the front ones all the way to the body line. And the rear we knew that we could not go that high unless we took out the whole wheel well so that is what we did. I have pics of the project in progress but they are on another computer. I cut the floor out all the way to the seam from the frame to the body. I also cut out about 2" forawd and back. So the overall well is deeper taller and wider. I used 18 gauge sheet metal and built some new ones. Then I sealed them up with liquid nail. They don't leak. This project is not finished, I still have to do some touch up. Thanks Rock Rash, for hosting these.
2jcspk

2jcsvc

2jcsx5

2jct1j

2jct3o

2jct50

is that a tailpipe rollbar?:scared:

rock rash said:
Talk to afd516. Its his not mine. I do like the wheel wells though. Nice job. Roll bar does need attention
I was wondering how long it take for someone to ask about the pole running through the middle. I have ruined 2 motors from water going through the tail pipe. This motor has about 100 miles on it and water will not ruin this one!!!!

When I did mine I was thinking of making all new wells. Would have been a lot easier and cleaner, but I wanted to keep the interior apnels as well as the rear seat. This is my DD and I ocasionally carry people. Hopefully I can put the interior back together and it will look a bit better. I painted that side and put some foam over the welds to make sure it is water tight, and it looks a bit weird.

afd516 said:
I was wondering how long it take for someone to ask about the pole running through the middle. I have ruined 2 motors from water going through the tail pipe. This motor has about 100 miles on it and water will not ruin this one!!!!
dang, i thought you installed stripper pole

FitchVA said:
dang, i thought you installed stripper pole
If there are any females that would like to use it for that reason that would be fine but I get a % of thier gratuity and they have to do it while I am wheelin'. They may want to wait till I install a heat shield though or they may end up looking like my brothers rain coat that melted to it at the bottom pictured above in the last pic.

Last edited:
Starboard M said:
When I did mine I was thinking of making all new wells. Would have been a lot easier and cleaner, but I wanted to keep the interior apnels as well as the rear seat. This is my DD and I ocasionally carry people. Hopefully I can put the interior back together and it will look a bit better. I painted that side and put some foam over the welds to make sure it is water tight, and it looks a bit weird.
The fact that this is a toy makes it easy to do just about whatever you want to it. I don't have the concerns of reliability as far as a DD. Believe me making new wells was not a simple chore. This was my first attempt at it and if I were to do it again there would be alot of things that I would do different. The overall concept and function of it I love. I do not have any clearace problems what so ever with 33"s. The goal is to put a ford 9" in the rear with 513 gears & 38"s (axle will be done next week) and I am reseaching my best course of action for an axle that will handle the front tire size and weight. I do believe that when 38"s installed I will still not have any clearance probs. But I do like what you did with yours. I never thought to do what you did with yours I was like F-it. I am still not finished with mine I got tired of working on them. I need to get off my lazy A and go finish them up.

Back