• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

emergency brake problem

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Seems my emergency brake isn't working at the present. I will need to get my jeep ['90 pioneer] safetied soon, and it won't pass with out it working.
Is there instructions exactly what I need to do anwhere? Never done this before, so any help, with pics would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

It's difficult to post instructions without knowing what needs to be repaired. You might need one or both rear cables, you might need a new front cable, or your rear brakes might need either adjusting or replacing.

The best advice I can offer is to buy a factory service manual (FSM) for your year XJ and use the diagnosis section to figure out what the problem is.

Eagle said:
It's difficult to post instructions without knowing what needs to be repaired. You might need one or both rear cables, you might need a new front cable, or your rear brakes might need either adjusting or replacing.

The best advice I can offer is to buy a factory service manual (FSM) for your year XJ and use the diagnosis section to figure out what the problem is.

yup

though - a quick way to *possibly* fix it is to get under the truck and look at the transfer case output
on the tranny tunnel aboe and rearward of the t-case is the one e-brake line that runs to the hand brake inside the rig. then there is an adjuster where that one line splits into the two different lines for each wheel.

might try tightening that?

also - the ebrake uses the rear drums - so if the shoes are worn or out of adjustment - then that would be a problem too.

-Ranger

Is there any tension/resistance when you pull up on the ebrake handle... If there is then it's likely your cables are okay... If it does have resistance, but does not hold, the rear shoes probably need to be adjusted up... HTH

Will.

Thanks, I'll try to take a look tomorrow and see. I've never dealt with them berfore, although I did work with a friend who's a mechanic replacing the cylinder on the drivers side drum brake as it was shot. The emergency brake was working, but recently stopped. To put it on, it feels fine. No changes there, except for it won't hold the vehicle at all. I'm thinking it's an adustment thing myself at this point. Just having not done it before, don't want to screw anything up, and do it myself if possible to save the $$ since I just paid out for a water pump I had to have done. As for the brakes themselves, they feel fine, and not change, although theyr'e not adjusted like I want them since the dealership did the recalls on it. WOuld adjust it back if I were able to , but that's not here or there on the emergency brake issue at all though.

cykaaro said:
As for the brakes themselves, they feel fine, and not change, although theyr'e not adjusted like I want them since the dealership did the recalls on it. WOuld adjust it back if I were able to , but that's not here or there on the emergency brake issue at all though.

Hmmm... Maybe I'm confused... Just want to make sure that we are both aware that the ebrake uses the rear shoes. Only difference being that during normal braking hydraulic pressure is used, parking brake use's mechanical (cable). Do the brakes feel good and soild - do the engage soft, or are they firm?? If they are soft, then your rear shoes (and therefore your ebrake) may not be working properly...

Will.

Thanks, good point. When we did the brakes initially, they were very firm. Just start to touch the brake petal and I would start to stop. Since the recalls were done [front rotors, that I didn't put in since I just put in new ones before driving across the country, and as well they did the shift interlock. When I got the jeep back, the brakes were back to the way they were. I know this year I will need to do the rear shoes, but maybe when they readjusted them on me, it's caused this then? Unfortunately I can't do the brakes to put them back the way they were though, as I have no idea how to. The rear brake shoes I could do myself, as I did the one with the guidance of my friend [he's a mechanic] and as we had to change the rear cylinder. Haven't changed the passenger side one yet, although I have the part as it works fine still.

Need to find a site to learn how to do drum brakes so I know how to do them in my sleep.

Had the same problem with my 91. Had to replace both EB cables. The cables were about $18 a piece. They are better made now, they are covered with a plastic sleeve, not metal which will eventually rust.
After installation don't forget to adjust rear brakes if needed.

Will hit the stealership next week and see what they charge here for them. Hopefully I can easily do this myself. I'm still learning alot about this DIY stuff. Already working on a valve cover cleaning and install on the '89 Laredo we're getting. Saw a water pump at the wreckers that looks pretty damn new, so was thinking of grabbing it. not sure if I should or not. Even found a starter relay and TPS that was pretty miuch new. Probably hardley used when the jeeps went to the wreckers, so grabbed them in case. Never know.

I have no fear of doing the brake shoes or emergency cables my self, but just need to know what I"m doing and what I'm getting myself into before I actually do it. It's not like i can go drive it soemwhere for help if I run into problems.

Haynes Manual does a step by step on adjusting the e brake and also a step by step on replacing the e brake cables(the 84'-00'issue)..

churky89 said:
Haynes Manual does a step by step on adjusting the e brake and also a step by step on replacing the e brake cables(the 84'-00'issue)..

Damn! Thanks! Forgot I even had one DOH!!! WIll check it out. Not sure if it'll give me enough info or not. I've the '84-'97 and doesn't always give enough info we found while using it, but the more sources of info the better I've always felt. Will see what it says and what happens. I picked up new rear brake shoes since they were on sale. Raining/snowing here now and the temp dropped, so will be a bit until I get a chance to do it, but we'll see how it all goes.

Back