• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust problem

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I'm hoping that i'm not the only one with this issue, but next time you look at the header flange on your exhaust, look and see if there is a crushed looking section in it right after the flange. I had a run in with a mud hole a few weeks ago and in the process of fixing stuff i saw that the exhaust was crimped around the flange. is this normal or is this a defect in the "s" pipe? I'm thinking that would be a reason my valves are all torn up (higher backpressure, bad valve train), but i'm not sure. any help would be awesome, thanks!

well, for some reason mine doesnt make any sense. axle clearance? it's like smashed toghether left to right, no where near an axle. i'm gonna try and get a picture and put it on, but it'll probably be this weekend before i can get to it. i donno, it just seems strange to me.

53guy said:
well, for some reason mine doesnt make any sense. axle clearance? it's like smashed toghether left to right, no where near an axle. i'm gonna try and get a picture and put it on, but it'll probably be this weekend before i can get to it. i donno, it just seems strange to me.

It doesn't make sense because it has nothing to do with axle clearance.
I have checked both of my XJs and both have "dents" right below the gasket.
One of them has three dents about 120 degrees apart, the other has a larger single dent.
For some reason they want a restriction on the exhaust pipe.
One mechanic told me that the reason is to protect the exhaust valves from burning up. Another, that it tunes the exhaust for better performance.
I am not satisfied so far.

53guy said:
Mine was(is) mashed in considerably also, and as you saw on the thread the NEW ($140.00) one was just as 'screwed' so it was refused. I had the exact thought you did about being hard on the valves. Guess the damned thing just is supposed to sound like a "rice burner" when I accelerate
wacky.gif

Back