• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 into a ZJ couple Q's

JeepChute

NAXJA Forum User
Since this is my first post here is a short intro. My name is Adam Young, I'm a Co-Trails Coordinator for Freedom Trail Riders (www.freedomtrailriders.org) in SouthEast/Central MA and RI. I've been wheeling for about 3 years now in a 1994 ZJ 4.0L with a 2" lift soon to be 3.5.

I've been looking around here a lot because I'm looking to swap an AW-4 into my 1994 ZJ because the 42RE I have is shot and I can't afford to rebuild it and don't really want to keep that tranny anyway. I'm getting a used 1993 AW-4 and a TCU from a 1993 ZJ, wiring harness, Torque converter, etc..

My main question is this: I will probably need a new input for the transfer case and I will probably pick up a 242 to replace my 249 anyway. How do I tell by looking at the AW-4 whether it needs a long or short input on the t-case? Thanks for your time.

Also, any other input I'd appreciate.

According to Advance Adapters, the AW4 is available with a 'long' output shaft, either 21 or 23 splines. 'Long' meaning the output shaft protrudes 1/2" beyond the face of the transmission('short' output shafts in the Jeep world are flush with the surface).
If the trans has the long output, the transfercase input must be short, and vice-versa.

This info is from their catalog, I've never checked an AW4 first hand.

Back