• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical issues

xjeeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ya'll my 100 dollar Baby Is having some starting problems.. when I turn the key nothing happens---- But weirdly when I pull out on my headlight switch it starts right up-- Also the headlights seem to be somewhat dim. when I make a hard left turn they go bright but only left-- any ideas out there?? She's a 85 2.5L

When you have an electrical problem that affects several circuits, you are likely to have either bad grounds with power going weird routes to ground, or a bad ignition switch (not the key cylinder- the switch at the bottom end of the steering column, through which a whole lot of circuits are run). I am assuming your year uses the same GM steering column as my 1990- I think so. If it was mine, I would first clean up all the grounds under the hood (use a good manual to find them all), then replace the switch (they're cheap). If that doesn't work, you have to do some detailed testing of wire continuity, etc.

xjeeeper said:
Hey ya'll my 100 dollar Baby Is having some starting problems.. when I turn the key nothing happens---- But weirdly when I pull out on my headlight switch it starts right up-- Also the headlights seem to be somewhat dim. when I make a hard left turn they go bright but only left-- any ideas out there?? She's a 85 2.5L

I think I see why it was $100.00

Back