• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bench seat in a XJ?

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
Was a bench seat ever an option in the front of a Cherokee? I know some Comanches had bench seats but what about the Cherokees?

I don't think I've ever heard of a bench front Cherokee - at 6'4" I hate to think of the lack of room in the front anyway...

The MJ has a foot actuated parking brake. The XJ has a hand actuated parking brake that would be in the way of a bench seat. I suppose you could delete the hand brake of switch to foot to put in the bench.

Not certain, but I think some of the police or "fleet" duty XJs may have come with a bench seat. They would have had to be modified to use an MJ foot brake because there isn't enough room for a hand brake in the little notch at the middle of the bench.

If you are willing to modify the brake, an MJ bench will bolt onto the XJ seat pedestals. Several people have gone the opposite direction, converting MJs to XJ buckets by swapping the seats on the pedestals.

No plans on doing it myself it was just something that was brought up on another board that I frequent.

Anybody ever tried putting jump seats in a Cherokee?

I don't think there would be enough headroom. Unless you're a midget.

I have a rear jump seat in mine It's only good for kids but it works great when ya got 3 kids and a cousin stays the night. they have them in j.c. whitney.

Plus the police xj's have colume shift too.

Back