• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did I do wrong?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of wiring in some aftermarket fog lights to my '96 XJ. I am trying to use a factory switch so it'll look stock on the inside.

Here's how I have the switch wired:

Top prong to fuse box for switched power
middle prong to relay
bottom prong to ground

When I turn the ignition on, the indicator light for the switch comes on, even though the switch is in the "off" position. The lights do not work.. nothing happens with them at all.

I unplugged the ground to the switch. Now when I turn the ignition on, the indicator light seems to be working properly, and only comes on when the switch is turned on. Now this time the lights will flash for a moment, then immediately shut off.

I have a four prong relay wired as such:

86 - to switch
87 - to the fog lamps
85 - to ground
30 - fused to battery

It's now 11PM and I've been working on this since 11AM. What have I done wrong?

the relay is correct but your switch is wrong. try this

top-load or to the lights
middle-ground
bottom-fused power

I have 16 switchs in the overhead console and IIRC this is how there wired, if that doesn't work switch the fused power and ground.

just checking but up is the end with the pilot light correct? and your are using a fog light switch, not a wiper or defrost switch?

I can pull the Switch panel and look tomorrow if you can't get it by then.

Dingo

Actually I just got them working!

I am using the fog light switch on/off only, and the I consider the part with the indicator light the top.

Here's how I've got it wired now:

Top prong - ground
Middle - relay
bottom - fuse block

Should I add an inline fuse from the fuse box between the switch? The switch leads to the relay and the relay is fused to the battery.

90Pioneer said:
Should I add an inline fuse from the fuse box between the switch? The switch leads to the relay and the relay is fused to the battery.

I would, remember the fuse is to protect the wire not the load. i have fuses everywhere.

Dingo

OK so I suppose I jumped the gun a little last night.

The top prong on the switch is to ground
the middle prong is to the relay
the bottom prong is power from the fuse block

The lights work when turned on. The only thing wrong now is that the indicator light on the switch is on at all times. What could be the cause of this?

Thanks

Edit to add:

Well it seems that I just solved my own problem. I removed the switch and tried a high quality aftermarket switch. Works perfectly. So I guess my switch is bad. That's two for two used stock switches I've bought that have been bad. I'm ordering a new one from the dealer, but it's $39.90!!!

Last edited:
Dingo509 said:
the relay is correct but your switch is wrong. try this

top-load or to the lights
middle-ground
bottom-fused power
With all the switches I've ever wired or seen wired, it was either this way or with the load and fused power switched. You may want to try both of these ways if you haven't already to see if the switches are ok before you go spending that much money on new switches.

90Pioneer said:
Well I did all that work and man, these lights SUCK.

What kind of lights? and where are they mounted?

Dingo

Dingo509 said:
What kind of lights? and where are they mounted?

Dingo

I replaced the turn signal lenses in my ARB bumper with a set of Blazer fog lamps. Blazer is the only one I can find that makes a lamp which will fit this area.

90Pioneer said:
I replaced the turn signal lenses in my ARB bumper with a set of Blazer fog lamps. Blazer is the only one I can find that makes a lamp which will fit this area.

Actually Hella makes a set, so does Piaa and IPF. I have the Hella's on my roofrack. and have seen the Piaa's in that exact spot on a cherokee. By the Measurements the the IPF's should fit too. but i think i seen those in a international (Meaning not available here) catalog.

I will se if i can find the model # on the Hella's for you.

Dingo

Yes if you could find any of the part numbers that would be wonderful. I've checked all over PIAA and Hella's website and can't find anything close.

Okay this is it.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/He.../Performance_Lighting/FF_Series/FF75/FF75.jsp

See if that works
It should look like this

ff75.jpg

Hope that helps
Dingo

Dingo509 said:
Okay this is it.

http://www.hella.com/produktion/He.../Performance_Lighting/FF_Series/FF75/FF75.jsp

See if that works
It should look like this

ff75.jpg

Hope that helps
Dingo

Yeah I was looking at that one but I don't think it will fit. The site says it's 2 1/8" tall which is about 1/4" too much....

BTW, you say you have them on your roof rack? how do they work? Can you upgrade the bulb wattage?

The PIAA 1500XT series is the smallest they make that I can find. The height is 2 1/16", which I think would still be a bit too big, unless the light was recessed back in there. And for 250 a set, I don't want to buy them and have 'em not fit.

Last edited:
i really like the Lights, they have a new H7 bulb in them there ratedat only 55 watts, put the H7 is a newer design and is very bright compared to say a 55W H3. My only complaint is that the pattern is not the best for a side light, i bought fog lights instead of driving. the fog puts a very wide horizontal but vertically narrow beam out. so it doesn't make a good flood light.

But at that height it make a pattern on the ground right next to the jeep that looks like the Cingular wireless logo. which is kinda cool i guess.

Overall Very good lights take a hell of a beating from branches where there at. If you look close between the KC's and the shovel you can just bairly see them

808664_5_full.jpg

Dingo

Back