• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the smallest lift I can use to fit 33x12.5

Jonny_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I love the look of 33's and want to fit them on my xj. I don't want to buy a SYE and driveline yet. Any ideas on what I can use to fit the 33's so they don't rub, how big do I have to go.

88xj

probably could do it with a 1" drop kit - get intimate with a sawzall...

realisticaly with keeping the "normal" body lines and only cutting a little bit, a 4-4.5" is about the height to shop for...

but be prepared for Flames for "likeing the look of 33's" and not wanting to do anything driveline related (especialy if you have ABS)

the 4.5" if done correctly will require a new transfer case output - namely a Slip Yoke Eliminator and a new driveshaft.
get a kit that has the following:
Brake Lines
Adjustable Upper AND Lower control arms
Coils
Full rear spring packs
Adjsutable trackbar (HD style with new frame mount)
Bump Stops
Quick Disconecting front sway bar links
Shocks (and a steering stabilizer if yours is shot)

or you could re-think your goals and get the 3" kit and some 31" tires... - a good 3" kit has:
Coils, LCA's, Brake Lines, Leaf packs, swaybar disco's....

much cheaper and just as fun - with less axle brekaage and less replacing of the unit bearings on the d30....

Last edited:
I'm running 34X9.50-15 and 3.5" RE lift, and lots of cutting, BFH, and bending.

To run 33s with minimal lift will require a careful selection of rims and trimming. I ran 32s on rims with 3.75 inches of backspacing without trimming with 3 inches of lift and no SYE. I had the Peugeot BA10 5 speed & 231 Tcase and the D35 axle. I did have the drive shaft lengthened & re-balanced with new u joints. You might be able to run 33s on 3 inches of lift with the same & good, careful trimming

im at 5.5 in with alot of cutting and i will have to move the bump stops before i wheel it with the 33's but its only because i chose to run a bias ply swamper my friend has the same thing with 33 in mtr's and no probs but his mtr's are about 1.5 in smaller than mine

i have a 1.5 in tc drop

i swear someone on here is running 37's with 4"... maybe they're shed some lite and post pics for some inspiration.

brandon

cheapxj was running 36's on 3" but he did major wheel well reconstruction.

without welding and cutting as much as you can 3.5" would be enough to run 33s successfully. just bumpstop accordingly and you can fit the tires and still ahve performance without getting it into the fenders. and please do a quick search, i have seen 4 of these same threads in the past day or two

I am running 33x12.5 on 3.75 BS rims with the RE 3.5" SF kit. NO SYE. The sawzall did meet up with the XJ on the front and rear on numerous occasions though.

How come everyone always forgets gearing?!?! Your Jeep will drive like crap with 33s and stock 3.55 gears. So you can't do it cheaply...sorry.

We're running P285/75R-16's (33 X 10.50 equivilant) on 2000 XJ Freedom package wheels (no spacers) with 3" lift and surgery to the wheel wells.

Keep it low, it's only sheet metal. ;)

Back