• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cage design questions

lankchevy

NAXJA Forum User
im in the planning process right now of building my cage. already got the materials and everything else just need to do the design now. there seems to be two main types of cages, one like D and C extremes cage, where it has a hoop that runs from side to side right behind the front seats, and then has bars that go from them along the roof to the front then down with 2 spreader bars along the dash and top of the windsheild, and basicaly has the same type of thing in the rear. and then there are cages like the t and j performance cage, that has one large hoop that runs from the front floor mounts, up the a pillars, along the top of the doors, then down in the back, with spreaders across and down tubes to the floor. my main question is which of these two designs is stronger? i do expect to have to use this cage a few times and dont want to worry about the safty of my passengers in the case of a roll since it is ussualy close friends, family, and ussualy my g/f. does anyone have any tips on things they would do differntly that when they built theirs? i dont want to have to rebuild it later cause the first one was a peice so help me out.

kolby

Take a gander at this.

lankchevy said:
im in the planning process right now of building my cage. already got the materials and everything else just need to do the design now. there seems to be two main types of cages, one like D and C extremes cage, where it has a hoop that runs from side to side right behind the front seats, and then has bars that go from them along the roof to the front then down with 2 spreader bars along the dash and top of the windsheild, and basicaly has the same type of thing in the rear. and then there are cages like the t and j performance cage, that has one large hoop that runs from the front floor mounts, up the a pillars, along the top of the doors, then down in the back, with spreaders across and down tubes to the floor. my main question is which of these two designs is stronger? i do expect to have to use this cage a few times and dont want to worry about the safty of my passengers in the case of a roll since it is ussualy close friends, family, and ussualy my g/f. does anyone have any tips on things they would do differntly that when they built theirs? i dont want to have to rebuild it later cause the first one was a peice so help me out.

kolby

I don't think either design is inherently better/stronger than the other. The placement of the bars, the amount of triangulation, and the quality of the welds mean a lot more to the overall strength of the cage. If you are planning to roll it, and likely will have passengers, I'd seriously consider some form of combo interior/exterior cage. An exterior roof hoop will go a long way towards keeping your rig intact in a roll, and moving some tubes from inside to outside can potentially keep the occupants from smacking their head on the cage. I think head clearance is a VERY important design parameter in any cage project.

here's pics of mine:
cage and other pics

Goatman said:
I don't think either design is inherently better/stronger than the other. The placement of the bars, the amount of triangulation, and the quality of the welds mean a lot more to the overall strength of the cage. If you are planning to roll it, and likely will have passengers, I'd seriously consider some form of combo interior/exterior cage. An exterior roof hoop will go a long way towards keeping your rig intact in a roll, and moving some tubes from inside to outside can potentially keep the occupants from smacking their head on the cage. I think head clearance is a VERY important design parameter in any cage project.

here's pics of mine:
cage and other pics

sweet PICS Richard!

Back