• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems with accelerating

vbjornsson

NAXJA Forum User
When I am accelerating my engine will sometimes hesitate and all of a sudden start going again. Also, the check engine light comes on. And when idling, the engine will sometimes go very low in rpms and then shoot up to about 1500 and then back down to normal. It is like the engine is about to die but gets started again.
This has happened before after driving through deep puddles. The last two times this happened, I changed the air filter, put in fuel injection cleaner and the problem eventually went away. I am going to put in fuel injection cleaner tonight but I was wondering what it is that makes my XJ do this.

I was thinking maybe that excess water was making some component not give enough spark to burn the fuel. My Chiltons book diagnosed the problem as a faulty fuel pump, but I was wondering how water could affect that. It isnt like I was driving through a river. I was just driving in a wet mountain pass while it was raining heavily when this problem came back to haunt me.

Does anybody know what is going on?
Thanks for any suggestions.

It is a 1994 and has just over 160k miles on it. And no, I havent checked the code yet. How much is it to get the handheld computer(dont know the name) that checks the codes? It seems pretty wise to invest in one, especially in times like this.

Thanks

vbjornsson said:
It is a 1994 and has just over 160k miles on it. And no, I havent checked the code yet. How much is it to get the handheld computer(dont know the name) that checks the codes? It seems pretty wise to invest in one, especially in times like this.

Thanks

On a 94, you can get the codes by cycling the ignition key: on,off, on, off, on. The check engine light will then flash a series of two-digit codes. "5-5" is the normal end of the sequence. Other codes will have a meaning, which can be interpreted here:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/fault/index.html

Back