• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift = Wobble

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
I lifted my 96 XJ w/ Rusty's 3 inch lift. I had it aligned and had to do a t-case drop to get rid of some vibes. Now sometimes when I hit a bump, i feel the front wobble side to side. It isn't too bad that I can't drive it and only does it occasionally. It never did this before the lift. Is this normal? Any thoughts on how to fix it?

Johnny

Track Bar, Track Bar, Track Bar.

I beth'cha that's what it is. Have somebody turn the wheel (with the car off), just enough to take up the slack, while you put your hand on teh heim joint at the track bar (the part that attachs to the frame). You'll feel a pop there probably. If so get a new track bar, I'd suggest a nice adjustable one, taht way if you go up in lift later on down the line (always a possibility:)) you'll be ready on that front.

Sequoia

You may also want to look for any worn bushings such as lower control arms even at the frame .My 86 wobbled so bad it was impossable to drive, after changing the lower control arm bushings it went away..

I lifted my 92 XJ with Rusty's 3 inch lift and his 1 inch drop crossmember and mine does the exact same thing as well as makes a pop noise when i turn the wheel right after startin her up...could it also be the steering stabilizer??

mine does the same thing i just put the rustys 3'' as well. do you think if i relocated the trac bar mount ( where it attachs to the axle) it would help? when i say relocate the trac bar i mean redrill a new hole 3/4 of an inch to the right. i know you are with other lifts, its in the directions, but with the rustys lift it was not it the directions
97 xj

Last edited:
This what was happening with me. I started getting a real loose feeling in the front. Noticed lots of oil coming from steering stabilizer. Replaced it. Good for a few months, started getting something like DW. Checked steering while wife moved steering wheel throught the dead zone (place where steering wheel turns and tires don't) while car was running. Noticed sloppy track bar. It was tight at axle end sloppy at frame end. Replaced. Everything working great. I kinda have a feeling that I will be replacing the LCA and UCA soon.

i havent tried movin the bracket over becasue i am just gonna end up replacing the trac bar cause she has 195,000 miles on her and an adjustable trac bar just seems the best way to go, especially if i go higher in the lift category. but i have heard of some people relocating the trac bar and it seemed to work fine. never tried it though. let me know how it goes if u decide to do it.

ALSO... when i got the lift put on i went and had my tired aligned and re balanced and that helped a great deal becasue the BFG's i have on tend to re cut themselves...just throwin another idea your way

Great info but a bit of a sidebar.....I put a 3.5 RE lift on, LCA's, Adjustable tracbar, new Ranchos, new steering stablilizer and when a slight bump on the the highway is hit the frontend goes into the death-wobble. So I called RE, they said have the frontend aligned so I did again.(5* castor) Still wobbles to the point that I have to pullover and stop. I just put on new RE adjustable UCA's but here is the question, how do I know where to adjust them to? In other words, how should they be setup initially?

Back