• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rookie Needs Your Input.

Chad(99-XJ-Sport)

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to purchase a 3.5" RE6025(w/full leaf packs) and a set of OME nitro shocks for my 1999 XJ sport.
My main concern is: Will I need to purchase the SYE kit and a new CV drive-shaft?
I have read a little about the vibration problems that will occur from increasing the angle of the "stock shaft" but not enough to make up my mind.
If I do need the "kit and shaft" where might I find a quality set-up for a reasonable price tag?

1999 XJ Sport 70k miles.
4.0L I-6
NP231 T-case
Auto Trans.
"bone stock"

If you have any other advice about this RE"kit" please let me know.
Thanks......
Rookie

I have a 2000 and put on the same lift. Vibrated like hell! Couldn't go more than 10mph. Tried some shims at first and they helped, but still did not correct the problem. I finally used the H&T SYE from RE and new RE driveshaft. Problem fixed.

if not for the vibrations - to make your rig the stronger - you will

budget 500 acordingly...

do it right... dont fawk around with a t-case drop...

PM Eagle with the same question and he will tell you about his 1" lift that needed a slip yoke elminiator...

you dont "need" a Double Cardan shaft - I plan on running a SYE with a single cardan shaft because of my off set rear diferential...
with the XJ, you wont "need" the double cardan till you get to about 6"
however, you need a new shaft of some kind with a slip yoke elminator...

I have a '98 with a simliar height lift with no mods to the original driveline. I have vibes, but not incredibly bad. Been driving like this for 1.5 years now, doing the SYE this summer though. Lift it and see how it is, then go from there.

XJ_ranger said:
you dont "need" a Double Cardan shaft - I plan on running a SYE with a single cardan shaft because of my off set rear diferential...
with the XJ, you wont "need" the double cardan till you get to about 6"
however, you need a new shaft of some kind with a slip yoke elminator...

It is my understanding that if you put in an SYE then you need to get a rear shaft that has a slip joint similar to that on a stock front ds in order to take into account the changing distance from the t-case to the axle when flexing. The stock rear ds won't work if you do a SYE

Rusty's offroad sells the popular AA SYE + Tom Woods ds kit for $480 I think

like XJRANGER said get a sye, and you might as well get a new shaft. also, you may want to hold off on buying shocks until you have the lift finished. that way you can measure what shock lengths you'll need for f/r and order schocks accordingly.

I've run my '98 with the RE 3.5" lift & 31x10.5 tires for over 35,000 miles with no vibration. The transfer case does have a Rustys 1" drop. I don't do a whole lot of off-road only 3-4 times a year but usually pretty hard trails, as the body damage will attest to. IMO, have the money ready to do an SYE if you get vibrations.
Seems like every XJ is different. :repair:

Last edited:
footdale said:
It is my understanding that if you put in an SYE then you need to get a rear shaft that has a slip joint similar to that on a stock front ds in order to take into account the changing distance from the t-case to the axle when flexing. The stock rear ds won't work if you do a SYE

you are correct - what i am talking about is the joints on the end of the shaft. There needs to be something in the drvieshaft to allow for length change during flexing - however - you do not "need" the double cardan u-joint setup.

here is a single cardan driveshaft - notice only 1 u-joint on each end:
singlecardandriveshaft.jpg

and here is a double cardan (commonly referd to as a CV (constant velocity)) shaft (XJ sotck front shafts):

click for larger image

notice the 2 u-joints on one end couppled with a special joint.

both of these driveshafts require different setup and angles to be used properly...

more reading on driveshaft setup here
and here

to Chad(99-XJ-Sport)
good places to buy the SYE and driveshaft are (NAXJA sponsors)

Full Size XJ Gear
Tom Woods

personaly - i would look into a Heavy Duty full output shaft replacement SYE, mostly because i dont like the idea of drilling and tapping a high torque piece of my driveline.

yeah - i think i have written enough for this post...

XJ_ranger said:
PM Eagle with the same question and he will tell you about his 1" lift that needed a slip yoke elminiator...
Actually not a "lift" ... it's a 2000 Sport with factory Up Country suspension. I haven't modified anything on that particular XJ.

DaimlerChrysler didn't charge any extra for the vibrations.

Back