• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have LED lights mounted behind their grille

99xj4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a vol. firefighter and am thinking about mounting two red LED taillights behind the grille and then using a wig wag flasher to flash them. Anyone done this? Good mounting suggestions?

I've done something similar, I took a set of Fog-lights off of a Grand Wagoneer and put high intensity LED lights in them for fog driving and for extra light @night and I(kinda cheated) had the strobe generator from a police car light bar hooked up to it, looked cool and worked great...Oh yeah, I'm a volunteer EMS guy.

i know a lot of guys in north jersey who are firefighters and have leds in the grill. Just get a light housing that is long and skinny. Mount it vertical in the grill or behind it depending how much room there is. Run wires and you are set.

look into the SHO-ME led stuff, they are fairly cheap and come in all sorts of shapes and colors and are extremely low profile

Here in GA, its illegal to have blue/red LED/lights behind the grill (unless your a FF/PO). And any flashing blue/red lights are illegal(with official exceptions)

Are we talking illegal all together, or just illegal to use while driving. I'm fairly certain that in Texas you are allowed to have whatever you want in the way of lights on you vehicle, but you are only allowed to use the factory lights + up to two fog/driving lights while actually driving down the road.

when i was in college in upstate NY, i remember seeing a local EMS XJ with fitted red and blue strobes in the grille. they fit perfectly in the vertical slats of the XJ grille.

not sure where u would find these ....

make sure you check your state laws before doing this. In Mass, you must have a permit to have the red/blue/wig wags, from the department your with. And up untill a few years ago volunteers couldnot use wig wags but could use red strobes.

Theres a ton of different lights available that you can fit pretty much anywhere. If you dont find any oyou want behind the grill you could always get body mounted strobes and put them in your front bumper.

Hooking them up is a different story. You can get wig wags that you do not need a power supply for that you can just hook up to your battery and a switch, you would drill out the headlight houseing and mount the buld in there. If you want true wigwag strobes you would need to run them off a power supply. As far as the red LED flashers go, I dont think I've seen any of those that you will not need a power supply for.

If youre looking for qualiy lights, I would go with a setup from Whelen and if they are a little pricey for you then look at Code 3. Check out http://www.awdirect.com/ , they have a real good assortment of stuff and good descriptions of what you get and what you'll need, also pretty good prices. We just picked up a new lightbar from there for one of our flatbed trucks.

hope that helps a little
Dean

Like everyone else said, make sure you have the authority to do it. In CO you can't have any red/blue/green(not sure why) visible from the front of your vehicle. The little hondas with LED washer nozzles get tickets for this all the time..................:dunce:

I am a vol. firefighter here in Colorado. We are only allowed to use red, white or combination of the two. I have several friends who run the set up you are talking about. however I for some reason I think you have to buy the LED flashers from like galls or other lawenforcment, fire supply company. I was thinking that the LED take a special flasher cause of the minimal amount of voltage they take. I know I have a whelen dash king led that only draws 1.5 amps or something like that.....bright as hell though.....

Osprey413 said:
Are we talking illegal all together, or just illegal to use while driving. I'm fairly certain that in Texas you are allowed to have whatever you want in the way of lights on you vehicle, but you are only allowed to use the factory lights + up to two fog/driving lights while actually driving down the road.

Hey Osprey! How's it goin' up in Tyler. I'm down here in Huntsville. The Texas book (the last time I tested..which might be as long ago as '92) says that you cannot "display" red or blue to the front, and you cannot display blue or white (except for OEM reverse lights) to the rear. It doesn't say what you can or cannot install..simply that you cannot display those colors, except for authorized/emergency..etc. What gets me is, that's what the book says and yet I see these guys driving around with blue-dot tail lights and blue neon under their cars that is clearly visible to the front and rear and I'm like, "Hey! Somebody give that punk a ticket! Damn kids've got no respect for the law these days...what's the world comin' to..."

XJ Dreamin'
stock 2WD '93 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW4, LT 235/75R15 A/T's

I have a crap load of Blue LEDs I got off ebay, im thinking of putting some behind my grille, like making a strip of them...kind of like having a blue neon back there...

:D

XJ Dreamin' said:
"Hey! Somebody give that punk a ticket! Damn kids've got no respect for the law these days...what's the world comin' to..."

Like runnin' down Richmond strip in Houston. Every color in the rainbow including blue, red and white on the ricers. I guess they figure they can't all get caught.

Anyways, don't volunteer fire fighters get some type of discount(s) at those law enforcement/firefighter suppy places? Since you guys volunteer and all?

91 Jeep Project said:
Like everyone else said, make sure you have the authority to do it. In CO you can't have any red/blue/green(not sure why) visible from the front of your vehicle. The little hondas with LED washer nozzles get tickets for this all the time..................:dunce:

In Arvada they dont. :confused:

down at crystal beach ppl run every color strobes there are

...and down there i dont think u can drive 20ft without passing a cop on a friday night

J.C. Whitney has the Nightrider sequential strip. Its been in every issue of thier catalog I've seen. I keep meaning to get one buteverytime I order something I forget about it. I think you can get it in red or amber - maybe the amber you can use in the street, I know you can't use the red for reasons mentioned before.

Back