• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

track bar/drag link removal

Codhead

NAXJA Forum User
Are these pressed in? If so, will I be able to get them out with an air hammer and pickle fork? I need to install new springs/spacers, and don't really want to use spring compressors.

Are you staying stock size? If so, you don't have to yank all that crap off to swap springs. Just unbolt the shocks, calipers, and sway bar end links. Use a small bottle jack on top of the axle to push it down and hold it while you swap springs....works like a charm!
HTH,
Jeff

Jeff - nope, I'm going up. It will most likely be 3 or slightly more when I'm done. I've installed OME ZJ springs up front already, w/ a one inch spacer; but after installing a bull bar and winch, I need to go higher to offset rubbing issues. Also am going to install some quicker disconnects while I'm in there.

...are they pressed in, anyone? The FSM simply says to "remove them" - also, it makes no mention of unbolting the calipers

they are not pressed in. You can use the fork or just give them a tap from the top.

On a side note, i intalled 6 inch springs with all of that stuff still connected.

hey i've torn my front end apart three times since last summer. 1 for the three inch lift 1 for the 4.5 inch lift and once for the HPD30 install. with the three inch i just unbolted the lower end of the track bar did the install then let the hole jeep down on the tires( on its own weight) and the track bar just slid right back into place. for the 4.5 inch i bought a RE adjustable TBar. again same procedure....really easy.

Gotcha. But, like NCSU mentions, you can get some decent droop on the axle w/o unbolting everything. Get the frontend up high and block it up at the LCA's frame end. You may try using a floor jack on the opposite side your working on to raise that side while you drop the other as far as you can. I hate spring compressors.....
Jeff

Is the lower end of the track bar pressed, or just bolted? Any tricks or tips to get it out?

Also, did you need to unbolt the lower control arms?

I've done mine twice in the last year, both times with a spring compressor - that I no longer have or want to use. Both times I tried to get the track bar and drag link out, but did not have a pickle fork or hammer big enough, so wasn't successful.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

NCSUcherokee said:
they are not pressed in. You can use the fork or just give them a tap from the top.

On a side note, i intalled 6 inch springs with all of that stuff still connected.

NCSU, I must be doing something wrong. I've taken out upcountry springs and installed a spacer, then new springs, and I've had to damn near take the front end apart both times. Last time for the new springs it was: jack the muther up, unbolt shocks and swaybar, then lower control arms, and I still had to use compressors. Is it the caliper that is the limiting factor? What the heck am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

unbolt the trackbar at the axle, then use a pry bar or large screw driver to pop it out. I have heard stories about not unbolting everything, but I have had to unbolt everything including the lower arms to do anything. i think its easiest to unbolt the arms at the frame than at the axle. when you reinstall.. do the track bar last, with the truck on its tires.. have someone push on the body till it lines up and you can bolt it up. I am replacing everything right now (springs, arms, trackbar) and its going easier then when i did springs and spacers.. guess everything is looser now..
and if you need to remove the tie rods/ drag link.. just unbolt the nuts and smack the knuckle with a good sized hammer. it will distort the hole so the tie rod will drop right out.

Codhead said:
NCSU, I must be doing something wrong. I've taken out upcountry springs and installed a spacer, then new springs, and I've had to damn near take the front end apart both times. Last time for the new springs it was: jack the muther up, unbolt shocks and swaybar, then lower control arms, and I still had to use compressors. Is it the caliper that is the limiting factor? What the heck am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

The brake line was my limiting factor (stock length). this also might have to do with the fact that i have heim ends on the steering and trackbar. But i did put on some 4 inch springs with a stock setup front end also without compressors.

I had also had my doubts that they were 6.5 inch springs and rusty's sent me the wrong ones. They sit at 6.5 or 7 inches now, but the rig doesnt have an engine in it, so im afraid that when it goes back in, they will sit down to 4.5

Back