• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping sound from rear after lift???

96country

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed the longer shackles that came with the RRO 2" budget boost lift on my Cherokee and now under braking there is a popping sound from the right rear. I can't see where anything is rubbing or making contact. It makes the noise once for every revolution of the tire. Other than this lift the Jeep is stock. Anyone have any idea what it could be.

Thanks

Ebrake cables?

96country said:
It makes the noise once for every revolution of the tire.

Are you sure its with the tire speed and not the driveshaft speed.Check you U-joints and also check the spline engagement.Alot of times the u-joint get a wear pattern at a certain lift,then when you change the ride height they can do this.It also possible you dont have enough driveshaft length.

I cut the exhaust pipe to get the shackles on the rear. And I am sure it is once per revolution of the tire and not the driveshaft. It doesn't look like the e-brake cable is close enough to be making contact. It still has the stock length shocks, and I can't see how they would make a repeated sound during braking. I appreciate all your help.

Thanks

I don't want to offend...but are the lugnuts tight?? That makes a sound like that..been there, have the T-shirt..

Re: Re: Popping sound from rear after lift???

RCP Phx said:
Are you sure its with the tire speed and not the driveshaft speed.Check you U-joints and also check the spline engagement.Alot of times the u-joint get a wear pattern at a certain lift,then when you change the ride height they can do this.It also possible you dont have enough driveshaft length.

I agree, but I think it's the stock slip yoke binding. My wifes does the same thing after a 2-2.5" lift. I just check the joints now and then and keep then well lubed.

If this is the SY the extended slip yoke should fix your problem.

When I put shackles on my 98, I had to cut off a bolt that stuck through from the bumper mount (but its been a while, might be wrong). If I hadn't cut these off, the shackle would have hit the bolt and made a pop type noise.
Just my $00.02

oK..

Did u hit the drums by any chance???
Look, this is what happened to me
After I installed some axle shims.. I had the same problem, when I brake I will get this horrible sound every revolution and everytime I brake.. after checking everything that was mentioned before... I came to the conclusion that in order for me to separate the axle from the leaf, I hit it with a hammer ( I know stupid) anyway.. this caused damaged to my drums (not big,, but it sounded like hell), I had to replaced that drum and BINGOOOOO.. I hope this works for you to. remove drums and look at them really close and feel them with your finger.. and you'll feel if the surface is not "perfectly" smoth

I hope this helps

I'm having the same sound from my '95 country with rusty's 2" AAL kit. It didn't do that before the lift:confused:......I have a feeling its in the driveshaft someplace.

Mike,

The explanation from Nathan is certainly a place to start although I am not sure I would cut the bolts.
A lot of aftermarket shackles are not clearanced to avoid the bolt when moving through the arc of travel towards the rear.
You need to radius the shackle slightly.
See you in MOAB !!

Back