• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLEASE HELP - What is this XJ Worth???

Mr4

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks. This is my first post on this site - great forum.

Here's what I found - I hope you guys don't mind helping me determine what a fair offer would be for it.

1995 XJ - Stock - Clean Title - 190K miles
Body and interior are supposed to be in decent condition
4.0 Motor supposedly has a rod knock
Auto Trans won't go into reverse
It was a repo and they are "taking bids"

That is all of the info I have. I don't know what to offer them. I want an XJ to drive on the road for up to 1 year, then probably won't register it. The rod knock could be an excuse to build a stroker.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Around here a used engine costs about $600, a used tranny probably $300 to $500, plus labor. So you start with the "book" value of the vehicle and deduct the cost of making it into a running vehicle. A 1995 might start at around $3500, but you can check that at www.edmunds.com. They have a utility for pricing used cars. Then deduct about $2000 to replace the engine and tranny.

Edmunds Private Party Value, "average condition" = $2000
- no adjustment for mechanical issues

KBB Private Party Value - "poor condition" =$0

If the book value in average condition is $2000 and you're looking at $2000 to make it average, zero sounds about right, so trying to get it for $500 sounds fair to me.

BTW -- don't mention this to the seller, but the "wrist pin" noise may very well be a cracked flex plate (flywheel). It happens with XJs, the noise mimics a rod or wrist pin knock, and it's not a hard fix. I know a dealer who buys 'em like that at auction very cheap because everyone thinks it needs a motor.

However, this is not a guarantee that the problem is a flex plate, so don't raise your offer.

Back