• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raised front LCA mounts!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Got them as high as possible without getting into the rest of the spring pocket.Got about 1-1/2" out of it,the spare set is for my 2000 and to get a friend to CNC trace!
fh000019.jpg

More pics

seems to me if you move the loweres you have to move the uppers unless you are redesigning the suspension. also by moving the lowers up and not doing anything about the uppers you put more stress on both the uppers and lowers in breaking/accerleration. i'm not sure if the little bit u moved it up makes a large difference but it's deff something to think about. but other than that it all looks nice good job.

o yea i agree you need to beef up the controll arm in the second pic:lecture:

The work looks good. However, a couple points. If you are planning to retain the stock shock mounts at the axle, it looks to me like you will not have the clearance below the flat plate for the shock eye since the lower control arm is tight to the bottom of the flat plate. If you are going to build some other sort of shock mount, then the new control arm mounts could have been raised more by removing the old shock mount material. Also, I think the upper control arm mounts should also be raised a similar amount. If you wanted to get funky like others have done, you could raise the passenger side mount only and incorporate a more solid type of joint like a RE spherical joint (easily done) and then run a front suspension with ONE upper arm only. That way you wouldn't have to mess with trying to raise the cast in mount on the pumpkin. You would be advised to strengthen the frame end of the single upper control arm mount though. Just some ideas. Jeff

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
The work looks good. However, a couple points. If you are planning to retain the stock shock mounts at the axle, it looks to me like you will not have the clearance below the flat plate for the shock eye since the lower control arm is tight to the bottom of the flat plate. If you are going to build some other sort of shock mount, then the new control arm mounts could have been raised more by removing the old shock mount material. Also, I think the upper control arm mounts should also be raised a similar amount. If you wanted to get funky like others have done, you could raise the passenger side mount only and incorporate a more solid type of joint like a RE spherical joint (easily done) and then run a front suspension with ONE upper arm only. That way you wouldn't have to mess with trying to raise the cast in mount on the pumpkin. You would be advised to strengthen the frame end of the single upper control arm mount though. Just some ideas. Jeff

Dan Turner sent me some pictures of his. I can see what he did, but the arms did not look parallel. Is this and issue?

I'll try and answer the best I can.
1.I was grinding my stockers really bad on the 2k since I never "plated" them,figured since the axle was already out on the 95 that I'd try this.
2.Since I have "radius" arms on both rigs this should work even better,I think its Goatman that has raised mounts on his mid-arm set-up.
3.Could possibly haved moved the mounts higher but not without a "bunch" more work on a D30!
4.I was already out of shock(extended) and still had some left over compressed.The new mounts will be "like" BPE's but without the hardware!

All of your comments are valid and were all considered before starting!

RCP Phx said:
I'll try and answer the best I can.
1.I was grinding my stockers really bad on the 2k since I never "plated" them,figured since the axle was already out on the 95 that I'd try this.
2.Since I have "radius" arms on both rigs this should work even better,I think its Goatman that has raised mounts on his mid-arm set-up.
3.Could possibly haved moved the mounts higher but not without a "bunch" more work on a D30!
4.I was already out of shock(extended) and still had some left over compressed.The new mounts will be "like" BPE's but without the hardware!

All of your comments are valid and were all considered before starting!

Ok, with long radius arms, I guess the height of the upper control arm mounts is probably not really an issue and you will possibly get less bushing deflection during articulation by keeping them stock height and raising the lower mounts. I would say there will be more force on them though to keep the pinion in line with less distance between the lowers and the uppers. Quite possibly not an issue. Will the uppers connect to the long lowers ok with your current radius arms with the raised lower only or are you building the long lowers in conjunction with the mount raise? I could forsee an issue with lining up the uppers to the lowers if using previously made lowers, but maybe they'll bolt right up. I don't know. :) Sounds like you'll just weld some tabs on the stock shock mount area to raise the mount a tad. That'll work. You could have cut off the whole rear of coil mount including the shock mount and built something off the new control arm mounts though and raised them a bit higher at the same time. What you've got will probably work fine and the new mounts do look beefy though. Jeff

Finally got some pics of the finished product!
All the pics
d30%20s%20mounts.jpg

d30%20s%20mount2.jpg

Last edited:
Back