• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple electrical questions

93xj-jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

just got my head rebuilt with new valve guides and we believe the shop that did it accidently kept one of the small parts. Its toward the very back of the head on the drivers side and threads into it. I believe it is a the temperature sending sensor for the warning light on my dash. Does anybody know if thats correct? If so, I found one at the junk yard but it doesnt have the wiring so I'm curious if I put that one in if it will be ok.

I bought a temperature guage a while back so i dont necessarly need the light. I tried to get it from the dealer but they dont stock it and say they dont think i can get the wiring for it seperatly. I have to buy an expensive wiring pack that it comes in??

Also, im replacing my spark plug wires and was curious if there is a major difference between the mopar standard/oem plugs vs. the high performance ones. My dealer stocks the oem ones but would have to order the high performance set and it would take 5 days. So im just trying to see if the performance set is that much better. By the way, i will be using champion plugs with them.

Thanks a lot guys.

yup you should just be able to go the yard and grab on although i warn you they are a PITA to get out just in a wierd spot. and just make sure you get the one for the idiot lights if you have them and the one for a guage if you have that. maby i'm reading this wrong but have you run the truck yet seems to me coolant would be spurting out the sensor hole if it's not pluged.

Quote: "Also, im replacing my spark plug wires and was curious if there is a major difference between the mopar standard/oem plugs vs. the high performance ones. My dealer stocks the oem ones but would have to order the high performance set and it would take 5 days. So im just trying to see if the performance set is that much better. By the way, i will be using champion plugs with them."

do you mean oem wires/high performance if so i have heard that wires are where you want quality everything else is basicly all the same. and to screw ya up even more most people around the board recomend champion truck plugs

I replaced the oem wires on my '98 w/MSD's, perception is reality, and after 100k I'm very happy, especially how the wires are holding up physically. I'm turning 31's with 3.55's, the k&n cone, wires, and Bosch 4's truly take up most of the lost performance until I develop the bravery to install the 4.10's that I bought maybe three years ago.

If you're gonna buy a non-oem brand, run a search first or ask a question, there's alot of garbage out there but I won't answer unless asked.:gag:

Good Luck!

I'd go back to the shop that did the head and get your part back. No sense paying for a part that they lost/kept.
As to the plug wires, aftermarket wires are about the resistance. Ohms Law I=E/R, says that if the voltage is constant (as in a coil output) the lower the resistance the more current. So a lower resistance wire will allow the plug to run hotter, giving a better spark. Conversely, a higher resistance wire or plug will eat more current reducing Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) or Electrical Mechanical Interference (EMI) and have less effect on external systems (like your radio picking up the ignition system). Resistive plugs also run cooler.
If you run the plug too hot you can get pre detonation, (pinging) where the plug can ignite the mixture before compression is complete. Same thing can occur with a fouled plug with carbon build up that glows after/before the spark is sent.
If you're not experiencing poor performance, pinging, predetonation, pick a term, just go with stock wires and plugs. Just set the spark gap before you put them in.

Sorry for the rambling

Derik

cool guys thanks

about the temperature sensor. no i havent ran the jeep yet. i assume you are obviously right and coolent would pour out the hole. but its still in the garage being worked on. i called the place where i got the work done and they dont have it, so they say. but i have found on locally for like 12 bucks so i went ahead and got it so i should be good on that now.

about the wires...im talking the regular mopar wires vs. the mopar high performance wires both from the dealer. Is there a major difference between these two. Dealer didnt stock the performance set so i bought the mopar oem ones and was gona put them in tonight, but is the performance set is a lot better than i guess i could wait.

and you guys strongly reccomend the champion truck vs the regular plain ol' champions. i bought the regular champions and was thinking about just putting those in. What do you guys think. thanks again.

srry guys, but any quick opinions on the wires? im debating whether or not to put in the mopar oem ones right now or wait. id like to get it done tonight but if the performance set is worth it ill wait. anybody, please? need opinions fast.

MSD's, can't go wrong...

Back