• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 5150's

HoodRichXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a set of 14" travel 5150's but they are too long i need the 12" travel ones for my XJ with 8.5 inches of lift. I wanted to check here and see if anyone could report and tell me whICH LENGth travel 5150's they were running, 10" or 12" with their amount of lift. sorry if this is a dumb question. steve

I'm planning to run the 10" up front and the 8" in the back (rear shock mounts will be raised, so space is limited) with my RE 5.5" kit.

im running some 12" travel 5150s on RE 4.5" coils with 1.75" spacers

i relocated the lower shock mounts with some tabs welded on the lca mount that i reinforced, it works great

HoodRichXJ said:
how exactly did you relocate them? would you happen to have any pictures of that? thanks steve

mounted to the LCA mounts on the axle? kinda like a YJ with a LA conversion...

Last edited:
HoodRichXJ said:
how exactly did you relocate them? would you happen to have any pictures of that? thanks steve

I can't come up with any pictures of it. Basically, the shock was outboard of the coil... between the coil and the tire. The upper mount was welded directly to the upper coil bucket and the lower was on top of the axle just inside the knuckle. I'm pretty sure this would only work on a full width setup.
If you really want pictures PM WayneXJ... he bought the rig from me.
Billy

i measured my rig again and collapsed i ring in at 18.5inches and extended im about 33 inches these are within about .5 inch of each other. The specs i got from bilstein on the 14" travel 5150's are collapsed 20.37 inches and extended 34.9 inches. okay and i think if i can mount the bottom of the shocks against the LCA bracket that would give me about and extra inch and a halfish on the collapsed end? does this sound like it will work? looking for his imput. thank you everyone. -steve

Are any of those collapsed numbers taking into account the 1.5" of extra length you'd get from running the needed shock adapters up top?

On my rig I can't run anything longer than 19" compressed overall. Take away 2" for the JKS shock adapters and BPE's, and that leaves me looking at shocks around 17" or shorter. The 10" travel 5150's are close to 16" compressed, so that's what I went with (should arrive on friday). Extended length I'm looking at close to 28" overall with the JKS parts, which is enough to unload my coils by about an inch (which is enough for me).

Back