• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Problems

coloscott

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Jeep XJ. It is a 4.0L 4-door. I went to leave today and when i put it in gear, there was some major problems. I shifted into OD, and ended up with nuetral. i could more the shift lever from OD to R, with absolutely no resistance. When I shift into 1/2, i basically have 3(no low-range). When it is in R i have nuetral, and when it is in Park i have reverse. I have no idea where to start. I an a newbie to tranny problems. I have to start it in N(which is now reverse) and cannot get to P at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like your shifter is out of adjustment.

I don't know the adjustment procedure, but it'd be in the FSM. Also try Haynes or Chiltons - might be easier to get on short notice.

Rob

after further investigation, I can pull the linkage(where it connects to the transmission) and lock it back into park. Does anyone know how to adjust this linkage? I searched the FSM but it is very vague.

Back