• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower radiator hose

mikeygone1

NAXJA Forum User
I had a hole in my lower radiator hose on my 88 over the weekend and I replaced it with the cheap Advance Auto parts hose (no internal wire) until I can get to the dealership and get one. I bled the air from the system and everything seemed fine until a few hours later when i noticed it leaking where it goes into the water pump. Could this be the water pump leaking or maybe just too much pressure on the cheap hose? I read in another post that the water pump will leak a little water before it goes bad. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

You need to get under there with a flashlight and see if it's coming from the weep hole in the nose of the pump or from where the hose connectes to the pump. When I replace a hose I put a wipe of indian head gasket cement around the first 2" of the hose then attach and tighten it with a 1/4 inch ratchet and correct socket. It's very hard tightening clamp using just a screwdriver or nut driver on a screwdriver handle. Also need to make sure you got the hose far enough up on the water pump inlet or not too far and are over one of those little nubs they have as a hose stop....
The lack of the spring will show up as a collapsing hose when the pump pulls more than the radiator can supply, that usually shows up big time on a partially clogged rad or cooling system.

IIRC-The lower radiator hose has been discontinued from the dealer, so aftermarket is the only way to go. I suppose you may get lucky and find a factory one somewhere, though.

Is it leaking from where the hose fits onto the waterpump, or is the pump leaking from the shaft area?

I havent had time to crawl under to see where exactly its coming from since its raining again here. As soon as it clears up im going to pull it off and put some gasket sealant and retighten it. Thanks guys!

I just bought one from my local dealer about 2 weeks ago. Think it was about 25 bones.

frsno jeeper said:
NEGATIVE!

This is what I was told a few months back when I tried to get one at Metro Chrysler in Columbia, IL (just outside of St. Louis) I have an 89 4.0. Maybe they started making them again, but the parts guy told me he couldn't even order one.

cherokee89 said:
IIRC-The lower radiator hose has been discontinued from the dealer, so aftermarket is the only way to go. I suppose you may get lucky and find a factory one somewhere, though.

Is it leaking from where the hose fits onto the waterpump, or is the pump leaking from the shaft area?

I just replaced my hoes. The parts store lower hose did not have the internal spring. I just yaked the spring out of the old hose, tied a cord onto the end of the spring other end to s solid location and pulled and twisted the spring into the new hose. You do have to work it a bit to get is around the bends but it will go in.

I'd really try to determine if it's the hose or the pump. Just went through this myself. Had my valve cover done, and when they tested it was told to keep an eye on my waterpump as it was sounding like it was going to go. Was hoping I had a few weeks before I would have to deal with it. NOT! Was leaking a small stream when I got home, and got worse from there. I thought it was the hose, as that's where it appeared to be coming from, but changing the clamp to a new one [still was the original c.1990 hose, clamp and waterpump] seemed good, but after a test drive, no go. Just got worse from there. Had to go to work, which thankfully is really close, and then barely made it to the jeep place next morning. Taking a look at the original w/pump you could tell the bearings were really shot. Just keep an eye out for how much is leaking out and try to determine which it is. I'd tighten the hose for good measure, keeping an eye on it. As I was told, if it seems to be leaking water, means it's on it's way out, and will get worse pretty quick, which I found out.
Good Luck!

Back