• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carriers for 4.11

89jeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got 3.07s in my dana 30 and 35. I want to upgrade to 4.11s to bring my 4.0l back to its power band after the 31s robbed it of power. I know that for the 8.25 that im swapping in, a new carrier will not be needed as the stock gearing is 3.55. What i need to know is for the front dana 30, will i need a new carrier for 4.11 gearing? Ive done a search and did not get answers that helped me. thanks for your time and any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks for the reply. What gear sets would you guys recomend using. I would like Yukon because ive heard of rhtere reliabilty and strength. Precision is just a little more where im uying my gears freom and motive is a little less (price). Total with the yukon front and rear with master kits for both is 627 bucks. What do you guys think. thanks again.

U.S. made gears are first on my list, then.....

A while back Rawbrown posted his favorites in order. I'm to lazy now to search. Search for posts by him and gears. You'll get a lot, but there was a good discussion.

Yukon has two gear line. Their "Value gear" which is pure crap and their "Yukon" line. For the Yukon line they used to provide a high quility gear, sometimes spicer, sometimes U.S. Gear, sometimes Precision, ect. I haven't gotten a set of spicers or other name brands since early last year. I haven't had any complaints with the others either.

$627 sounds pretty high though:
http://www.ring-pinion.com/default.asp?pid=2&pageid=154

i would get dana/spicer gears for the front about $160 or so
the carrier is about $60

prescision gears are supposed to be pretty good too

89jeepxj said:
Ive got 3.07s in my dana 30 and 35. I want to upgrade to 4.11s to bring my 4.0l back to its power band after the 31s robbed it of power. I know that for the 8.25 that im swapping in, a new carrier will not be needed as the stock gearing is 3.55. What i need to know is for the front dana 30, will i need a new carrier for 4.11 gearing? Ive done a search and did not get answers that helped me. thanks for your time and any help is greatly appreciated.

I know that for the 8.25 that im swapping in, a new carrier will not be needed as the stock gearing is 3.55. What i need to know is for the front dana 30, will i need a new carrier for 4.11 gearing? ??

the 8.25 you have gotten may be some special model i've never heard of but i'm pretty sure you will have to change the carrier in it as well to be able to install 4.11 gears..
good luck w/ that...

no
carrier break for the 8.25 is like 2.55

you will NOT need a new carrier for the rear
JLane99XJ said:
I know that for the 8.25 that im swapping in, a new carrier will not be needed as the stock gearing is 3.55. What i need to know is for the front dana 30, will i need a new carrier for 4.11 gearing? ??

the 8.25 you have gotten may be some special model i've never heard of but i'm pretty sure you will have to change the carrier in it as well to be able to install 4.11 gears..
good luck w/ that...

LouisianaZJ said:
no
carrier break for the 8.25 is like 2.55

you will NOT need a new carrier for the rear

wow i didn't know that,, i always thought it was the like the d30,44 & 35 (guess thats what i get for thinkin)

sorry for the mix-up

considering that most gears are manufactured overseas...
Italy, india, china, mexico, south america...
have you ever run value gear? its not pure crap, for that I suggest Genuine gear. I wouldn't use Value gear for high pony applications but I would certainly run them before GG.
the top three brands in my book is yukon, superior, Dana spicer. Spicer is a decent gear at an elevated price. Dana spicer is a good choice but not allways available in certain ratios. Yukon is not to expensive, higher ratios available, and it has a decent warranty. whats the warranty on Dana spicer gears? right.
precision gear is expensive and I haven't been very happy with how they setup. US gear is $$$.

keep shopping around for a better price.

well, at ACCU Auto Parts, i found 2 4.10 ring and pinion sets for the 8.25 and dana 30 front. A new carrier for the 30, 2 master install kits, and a techinical video cause i will be doin this my first time. Total is 518 bucks. I only have 31s, so 4.10s is good enough for sure, i know. BUT for 30 bucks more i can get 4.56s front and rear. 4.56 is prolly overkill, but why not get em?? bad gas mileage? over revving engine? thanks.

89jeepxj said:
well, at ACCU Auto Parts, i found 2 4.10 ring and pinion sets for the 8.25 and dana 30 front. A new carrier for the 30, 2 master install kits, and a techinical video cause i will be doin this my first time. Total is 518 bucks. I only have 31s, so 4.10s is good enough for sure, i know. BUT for 30 bucks more i can get 4.56s front and rear. 4.56 is prolly overkill, but why not get em?? bad gas mileage? over revving engine? thanks.

I'd do the 4.56:1. There won't be much signifigant mileage penalty, and unless you are doing long hi-speed highway trips, there isn't any over-rev issue for the 4.0l engine...

I've ran the same XJ with 33"/3.55:1 then up to 6" lift/4.56:1, then 31" for a few months @ 250 mi/wk backroad commute. The 33"/4.56 gave the best MPG, but the 31" offered more performance, with a slight drop. On the highway it stayed about the same...

Rawbrown said:
have you ever run value gear? its not pure crap, for that I suggest Genuine gear. I wouldn't use Value gear for high pony applications but I would certainly run them before GG.

Value gear is pure crap, Genuine isn't worth anything even as a paperweight. :D

I haven't ran the value gear, but I have the Genuine. I ran those about 30K and they look like I was using sand as gear lube. They didn't break, but I'm not sure why. I still have yet to find anyone that was very succesful at getting them warrantied. I don't consider them an option.

89jeepxj said:

Depends on if you have a stick or auto and what year. If you have the '89 your screen name points to with an AW-4 I think the revs are managable. With the stick it might be pushing it a little. Both should be under 3K at 80 which is ok in my book. Maybe Woody will clue us in on what setup he's running and what speeds.

89jeepxj said:
OH, the gears are Motiv Gears. Ive heard there strong and reliable. Any thoughts on those? thanks

I think motivs are fine. I haven't used them but I know many that have and no one complains.

I don't know who ACCU Auto Parts is. If they are local, that's decent, if it's mail order I think I would check with RawBrown first. Just because he answered your questions. :)

know anyone with motive gears? heard bad or good about them. thanks. Ive also got a 5 speed so i thnk 5th gear will keep the revs below 3 grand easy at 80.

89jeepxj said:
know anyone with motive gears? heard bad or good about them. thanks. Ive also got a 5 speed so i thnk 5th gear will keep the revs below 3 grand easy at 80.

From what I've found the BA-10 is supposedly a .72 ratio. That would keep you right at 3K. If it's the lower .78 or .79 (I don't know sticks :)) you will be a little over 3K at 80.

Responded to the Motive question above.

its a .78 so it looks like ill be over 3 grand. thats fine, i never drive 80 anyways. rarely do i. the only freeway driving i do is to hollister hills about an hour away and to my grandma's house 5 minutes away so... ill be alright. thanks for all ur help. ill take pics of the install.

89jeepxj said:
its a .78 so it looks like ill be over 3 grand. thats fine, i never drive 80 anyways. rarely do i. the only freeway driving i do is to hollister hills about an hour away and to my grandma's house 5 minutes away so... ill be alright. thanks for all ur help. ill take pics of the install.

:thumbup:

Back