• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? for the air locker guys

I use the ARB comp. and a 2 gal tank. All I did T a line to the tank off the feed to the solinoids. I have a small leak somwhere so my comp runs everyday, sometime 2 times a day to refill the tank, it has been in for 8 years or so...andhas never giving me a second thought. Say what you will about the ARB comp. but mine (knock on wood) has been reliable, and troublefree.

Rev

I use the ARB Compressor with the tire fill kit. Works great. My TJ has a Quick Air 3 on it which will be running a ARB by summers end. They have a compressor kit to run the air lockers with there compressor. sunperformance.com

You can also use a power tank but the cost is pretty great for the tank, and to refill it. powertank.com

Excuse me if this is a silly question, but is the ARB compressor producing enough pressure to the tank, to power air-tools?

I have an ARB compressor, and I would love to be able to use air-tools with it.

Rgds

No, you cannot run air tools off the comp. directlly. However, you can filla tank and run air tools off the tank until the pressure drops and the tank needs to refill. It really is not practical for air tool use, but it depends upon the size of the tank.

Rev

Rev Den said:
No, you cannot run air tools off the comp. directlly. However, you can filla tank and run air tools off the tank until the pressure drops and the tank needs to refill. It really is not practical for air tool use, but it depends upon the size of the tank.

Rev

Rev,

Thanks for the reply, but what I am asking is if the pressure that the compressor generates in the tank, is enough to run the air tools. What I was thinking was to get one of those air tanks used by scuba divers and convert it to an air tank.

Any ideas?

Rgds

There are many choices for air tanks, local hardware have them for 20-30 USD. on www.offroad.com cherokee section, somone used an old fire estinguisher. Also if you wanted a smaller one, the Big semi trucks usually have them, the junk yards here have them really cheap. If you can get a scuba tank cheap, you should be able to make it work.

Although, I agree the ARB compressor may still be too small to run air tools effectively.

XJCHUCK72 said:
There are many choices for air tanks, local hardware have them for 20-30 USD. on www.offroad.com cherokee section, somone used an old fire estinguisher. Also if you wanted a smaller one, the Big semi trucks usually have them, the junk yards here have them really cheap. If you can get a scuba tank cheap, you should be able to make it work.

Although, I agree the ARB compressor may still be too small to run air tools effectively.

That's what I am afraid of. I think a more powerful compressor is needed for such work. And since I do need my air con, I do not see it happening. Oh well, maybe I can get a mains operated compressor and some air tools, at least I'll be able to work with them at home.

Rgds and many tnx

The ARB cmpressor does indeed produce enough pressure. I think the factory cutoff is 125psi, which is the same as most home air compressors.

As far as running air tools, I personally think it's not even suitable for airing up tires. ARB recommends not using it for more than 45 minutes continuous and I just barely get 4 tires from 10 to 25 psi in that amount of time. And that's not counting the 10-15 minutes of rest I give it in the middle because it gets too hot to touch after about 15 minutes of use.

IMO, scuba tanks are overkill. Steel scuba tanks are rated at ~1500 psi, aluminum at ~3000. Both are very heavy for the pressure that you'll be using in a vehicle. They hold 50 to 150 cu. ft. at their rated pressures, you'll get considerably less at vehicle pressures. Even the little emergency bottles have a weight/psi/capacity issue... again, just my $.02

Mine is equipped with the factory switch, on at 80PSI, off at 95PSI. The pressure is not you concern with most air tools, it the volume of air that is needed at that pressure. You would need a BIG tank to rally make it worth it. If you want to run air tools...maybe somthing like this...
http://www.readyair.com/12v.htm

Rev

Rev Den said:
Mine is equipped with the factory switch, on at 80PSI, off at 95PSI. The pressure is not you concern with most air tools, it the volume of air that is needed at that pressure. You would need a BIG tank to rally make it worth it. If you want to run air tools...maybe somthing like this...
http://www.readyair.com/12v.htm

Rev

I almost choked, when I saw the price of the first one in there!

I guess I should stick with the home version then.

Thanks and regards

I use a compressor that I got from truckin.com. It fills a 5 gal tank in about 2 min to 105 PSI. Will run an impact for a short time before it needs to come on. It's enough to remove all the tires before coming back on.

Back