• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J SYE types

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I've been looking at SYE's for a while now and it's turned out to be more of a "who can advertise more" contest than anything. I'm looking for advice from people who have put a SYE onto their rigs as to what brand is the best to buy. I'm wanting a heavy duty SYE for a reasonable price. For some reason, I just want to stay away from hack-n-taps, but what do you all think of those? Also, I'm planning on lifting my '99 XJ 6.5-7.5 inches and would like to know what angle degree shims people are running. Thanks everyone!

Okie Terry said:
Make your own....
Thanks dude for the post, but unfortunately, I'm not quite the engineering marvel to the 4X4 sport. I need something of a quick bolt on that's under $300.

Gil BullyKatz said:
I bought my HD SYE from these guys about 4 years ago...

No complaints and a decent price...

I run 6* shims with about 7-8" lift

How much did you get if for?

53guy said:
Thanks dude for the post, but unfortunately, I'm not quite the engineering marvel to the 4X4 sport. I need something of a quick bolt on that's under $300.
Well, for under $300 you'll either need to make your own SYE or DS.
Or did you mean under $300 for just the SYE, because that would be easy.

Last edited:
53guy said:
How much did you get if for?

Pretty close to $300 IIRC...

but a few years back, there weren't that many companies offering them...

Drop them an e-mail or call them...

They might be cheaper by now...

The upgraded mainshaft is a nice beefy unit tho...

yeah, i'm just lookin for the sye to be under 300. i'd really like to upgrade the transfercase with this sye, so the beefier the better...

p.s. This isn't a quick mod either. Expect a couple of hours (at least) for a HnT and the better part of a day for the HD.

Okie Terry said:
p.s. This isn't a quick mod either. Expect a couple of hours (at least) for a HnT and the better part of a day for the HD.
I did mine in about an hour. But that didn't include installing shims or a driveshaft. Just depends how much experience you have and who you are friends with I guess. It's really simple to do though.

BTW, I have the PORC HD SYE and have no complaints whatsoever.

It doesn't matter which one you get, they're basically all the same. Just be sure to get one with the 32 spline output shaft, and then get whichever one you can find offered for the cheapest. There's no point in getting one with the stock splines since it's only a couple of dollars more for the heavy duty.

Got my AA-HD and D/S through Tom Woods. Only way to go. Good warranty, good stuff. Took about 6 hours the first time, when I went to the Tera Low kit, took about 4 hours.
AA-HD and D/S were 500.00.
Tera Low was 800.00

Okie Terry said:
Make your own....

You want to post instructions on how the average person can make their own 32 spline SYE at home?

Sheesh.....:rolleyes:

Goatman said:
It doesn't matter which one you get, they're basically all the same. Just be sure to get one with the 32 spline output shaft, and then get whichever one you can find offered for the cheapest. There's no point in getting one with the stock splines since it's only a couple of dollars more for the heavy duty.

question about the spline. never took apart a transfer case. what spline are you talking about? output shaft of what? do you have to mod anything else to use a 32 spline?

53guy said:
question about the spline. never took apart a transfer case. what spline are you talking about? output shaft of what? do you have to mod anything else to use a 32 spline?
The 32 spline output shaft, of the transfer case, is the same as what's in there now except for the output splines (32-vs-27).
The kit will have everything that's needed for the upgrade included.

FYI for the people wondering what the difference between the 32 spline and stock setup. The big difference is the design of the shaft at the speedo gears. The actual spline count is larger because the originators of these kits used an output shaft from a NP241 (think that was it). I don't think there is much stregth gained at the splines but there is at the speedometer gear.

This is a stock cut shaft next to JB's super short shaft:
output_length.jpg

Back