• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel weights and balancing tires-help!

Uni

NAXJA Forum User
In my quest for finding the true cause of my DW, I've replaced steering linkages, about to replace LCA bushings, and had the wheels balanced amoung many other things. Since in the past I had much of this work done by others I've come to hard realization that many of these guys didn't know their a$$ from their elbow. So I've gained access to a wheel balancer and tryed to balance the wheel myself. However I found more than 7 Oz. on one wheel and 6oz. on another. Isn't this too much? I removed the weights and put one wheel on the machine and found out that I needed approx 3oz on one side and 5.75oz on the other.(dynamic) Thats still to much, isn't it? Could this be caused by a bend rim or steel belt separation? How can I tell? I've looked at the wheel while it spins and did not see anything obvious, can anyone comment on this. Thanks in advance.

PS- I've got 33" big o tires Xt on 15X7 steel chrome rims

I have around 10 oz on 2 tires right now.

For some reason all my BFG's need major rebalancing after 50% of thread is gone.

Big tires put a LOT of rubber out there, and I suspect the manufacturers aren't as careful about making big off-road tires as true as they make sports car tires, because what the heck, they're going on a truck.

Plus wheels are not always true. Try breaking the bead and rotating the tire on the rim 120 degrees, then try again to balance it.

Anyone ever heard of using bb's in the tire for balancing?

You can use the BB's trick,but you need to remember one important fact --->>>DON"T use as much BB's in weight as you need in wheel weights! I've seen people using 10-12 Oz. of BB's in their tires and then wonder why their junk bounces around like a shake-o-matic bed at a $2 hotel. When you use BB's you're effectively putting the weight where it needs to be,at the tread of the tire,so,you don't need as much weight as you would if you were mounting the weights 10"-12" from the tread (as in the rim's lip). If you need only 5.25 Oz,I personally wouldn't bother with it,but that's just me,the guy with :eek: 11 Oz of weights on 33" Swampers (and that was using a Hunter balancer with the road force thing-a-majig--thanks *a-mechanic*!!):D :D :D :D

Back