• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Viking Winch Line?

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running these: Viking Winch Trail Line Looks like a decent price for Amsteel line, the snag protector, the heat protector for use near the drum, and a hook. What do you guys think? I am intending to get synthetic soon and was looking at the many options.

-Mike

i went with the 5/16th 100' amsteel, and new alum fairlead, i got it all off ebay for about $175.

truckin073.jpg

Why not try master pull.

Their 3/8 rope is stronger and has a better winch drum attachment. Also, it is cheaper than the viking line and is better quality. Master Pull's 3/8 has a breaking strength of 23,500 lb while the viking or amsteel blue 3/8 is only 19,600 lb and 20,400 lb respectively.

I was impressed with the quality of the line and the attachment for the winch drum seemed much more strong than what other lines are using.

vbjornsson said:
Why not try master pull.

Their 3/8 rope is stronger and has a better winch drum attachment. Also, it is cheaper than the viking line and is better quality. Master Pull's 3/8 has a breaking strength of 23,500 lb while the viking or amsteel blue 3/8 is only 19,600 lb and 20,400 lb respectively.

I was impressed with the quality of the line and the attachment for the winch drum seemed much more strong than what other lines are using.

Where's the link you got your info from? I don't think it matters much how strong the winch drum connection is. As you will have many winds of rope around the drum so it is not pulling on the bolt anyway.

-Mike

vbjornsson said:
Why not try master pull.

Personally, Master Pull had lost me as a customer. Nothing to do with their products, but I was at a trade show and attemped to talk with the MP rep, I was blown off several times. The Samson (the maker of Amsteel) reps went out of thier way to answer any questions I had and supplied me with more liturature then I knew existed. They even supplied me a list of vendors to purchase my rope at.

Probably just a single event, but MP's lack of service lost me as a potential customer.

Mike L said:
Where's the link you got your info from? I don't think it matters much how strong the winch drum connection is. As you will have many winds of rope around the drum so it is not pulling on the bolt anyway.

-Mike

look at Samson rope's website, www.samsonrope.com, theres tons of information avilable in there about the various ropes they offer from weight ratings to splicing.

Mike- I got my info from the company's websites.

When I talked about the strength of the winch drum connector, I was talking about how well it stayed on the winch line. Many companies use cheap copper electrical connectors as their winch drum connectors, and they are very prone to falling off. Winch rope doesnt grip the drum as well as wire cable does, so a winch drum connector that stays on the line can be very important. It would suck pretty bad if you weren't careful while winching and the winch drum connector came off.

Master Pull is the only winch line company that I know of that does their connector the way they do, and it the best that I have seen.

Railroadjeep- Its too bad that you got bad customer service from Master Pull. I have had exactly the opposite. The owner of Master-Pull, Emil, used to be a commercial fisherman so he is a very knowledgeable person about the synthetic ropes. Also, the rope supplier to Master Pull is supposed to be one of the best in the world.

So I for one trust Master Pull products and will continue to use them.

Just my 2 cents.

Back