• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake squeal

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how to get rid of a subtle yet annoying brake squeal coming from the disk brake (front wheel)? It actually happens when I am driving , but when I apply the brakes, even slightly, the noise goes away. I thought it would disappear after 500 miles or so, but I've easily driven 1000 since I put the brakes on. I even removed and reinstalled them yesterday making sure to lubricate all the points. Yet it still squeals. Thanks!

Matt

You need to purchase one of the products intended to lessen disk brake squeal. They take the form of a paste/gel or spray that is applied to the BACK SIDE of the pad (NOT the friction side).

This, of course requires the pads be removed to do so.

Go to a decent auto parts store, and pick up a can/bottle of the stuff, and follow the directions on the can. It should solve your problem.

I had already lubricated the brake pads with high temp. lube. I did the back of the pads, the slides on the caliper. How does putting stuff on the back of the pads make the brakes stop squeaking? Does this go over the lube I already used? Thanks.
Matt

This hasn't happened to my XJ yet but on previous rigs I would get a squeal after wheeling through muddy water. I cleaned the disks with a brake cleaner (not the lube). It worked for me.

Since the pad is only in loose contact with the caliper (unless the brakes are applied, it's quite possible for them to lightly vibrate against the caliper, hence creating the squeal.

The anti squeal goop acts like a flexible adhesive, to keep the pad bonded to the caliper and/or piston.

Like I said though, I greased the entire back of all the pads. Is there something I can try between the rotor and the pads that won't affect the stopping friction?

Ahem ... see my reply above.

Motorex, Hogwash, Gunk, E-Teck ... they all make cleaners,
so do many others. Any parts house has got 'em.
Get one that is hydrocarbon-based and non-chlorinated.

Don't breathe the stuff.

Wrong stuff

Matthew, I think that high temp lube is not what you need. Like Jeff said, go get the brake anti squeal. It is not a lubricant but is generally just a type of silicone adhesive that bonds the pad to the piston and carrier but still provides a buffer between. Also you can take the pads off and scuff them up good with emery cloth along with the rotor and break them in again by doing a series of stops at increasingly higher speeds. You want to wear the pad flat without getting a glaze.

Matthew K said:
Like I said though, I greased the entire back of all the pads. Is there something I can try between the rotor and the pads that won't affect the stopping friction?

Grease on the back side of a caliper pad is a BAD IDEA. As the pad heats up during brake application, the grease will soften, liquify, and migrate onto other areas, like the DISC!

Get some brake anti squeal stuff. It only costs a couple of bucks at the parts house. If you are tight for money, the sell it in little squeeze open packets like the ketchup comes in from fast food restaurants, and they ought to be pretty inexpensive.

Back