• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway bar disconnects?

BIG-G said:
Has anyone ever tried to fab up there own homebrewed REAR say bar disconects?? Or even find someone who makes them???

Just remove it altogether. I yanked it on my '01 Sport, and my 2000 Limited with the Up Country package didn't even have one from the factory (the option is actually listed on the build sheet as SH8P - Delete Rear Stabiliser Bar). Really, there seems to be very little on-road difference between having and not having one.

Last edited:
Why? Just take it off and leave it off. My XJ is a DD and no issues at all with it being gone. I could barely tell a difference when I took it off. HTH

Nobody sells disconnects for the rear, but why would you want them anyway? Most people just take the bars out completely. I won't go so far as to say that they're completely worthless, they can be a good thing for a street-only rig, but for most people who wheel their rigs they only hinder performance. Especially if you have aftermarket springs or AAL's, your springs will be much stiffer and will be fine without the bar. I ran with no rear sway bar and didn't notice a difference when it was stock, and later with the lifts it allowed more flex.

One more vote for removing it altogether. I noticed absolutely no difference in body roll after removing it. And like Casm pointed out, they were not factory installed on Upcountry XJ's.
B.

I know everybody is gonna tell me to just take it off; BUT im askin if its possible at all to make a homebrewed disc for the rear?? Theres many who fabbed there front disco and im looking for the same in the rear. 90-95% of its driving is normal round town/highway driving so i'd prefer leaving it on.

BIG-G said:
I know everybody is gonna tell me to just take it off; BUT im askin if its possible at all to make a homebrewed disc for the rear?

Yes. It is entirely possible.

BIG-G said:
Ok, then would u or anyone know how to lead the way for me to do so??

I can't personally, and have no idea who this 'u' person is you that keep referring to.

Haleyes said:
Become a paying member .
Nice, smartass. Why haven't you responded that way to someone who's contributed sh**loads to this site but isn't a *PAYING MEMBER*? GoJeep, for example. He's not a member, but I challenge one person on this forum to say he shouldn't be posting here. Oh, wait, I'm sorry--you've paid some money, therefore you must automatically know something (or you are just inherently correct). The ability to send a check or to make PayPal function doesn't mean sh**, Haleyes. From the searches I did before posting this, you don't have a lot to add, yourself.

BIG-G said:
I know everybody is gonna tell me to just take it off; BUT im askin if its possible at all to make a homebrewed disc for the rear?? Theres many who fabbed there front disco and im looking for the same in the rear. 90-95% of its driving is normal round town/highway driving so i'd prefer leaving it on.
Even if I had a totaly stock jeep which would NEVER see even a dusty pavement road I would take it off. It will ride nicer and you won't notice ANY more body roll. Maybe if its lowered and you are some kind of street racer then you should leave it on but then why would you want disconnects.

Trust the many voices of reason here....They have been doing this along time and know their beans!!!

Timber said:
Nice, smartass. Why haven't you responded that way to someone who's contributed sh**loads to this site but isn't a *PAYING MEMBER*? GoJeep, for example. He's not a member, but I challenge one person on this forum to say he shouldn't be posting here. Oh, wait, I'm sorry--you've paid some money, therefore you must automatically know something (or you are just inherently correct). The ability to send a check or to make PayPal function doesn't mean sh**, Haleyes. From the searches I did before posting this, you don't have a lot to add, yourself.

I may have responded that way.....hell I dunno. Some of you people take stuff way to seriously. This is a great place for people to learn alot of stuff, and have a good time doing it. OK it was a smartass comment, big deal. Now that I think about it, those are few and far between on these boards. :gag: I didn't realize that you should have to scrutinize every post before you actually post it to be sure not to offend anyone. I've learned tons of stuff with out even asking, just searching. He asked for "any suggestions" so I chimed in with my 2 cents. I suppose if you don't like it, don't read it, that would be fine by me. I haven't owned an XJ or been a member for very long so, I haven't added a whole lot but hope to be able to help-out when I can, and continue to learn something every so often. I'm not going to get into some grade-school-name-callng match. You are entitled to your opinion and I belive you have voiced it quite well. It's no big deal Timber, drink a beer man...

I'm thinking about fabing up some, cut the rod in half, weld tubing to the top and drill a hole thru the tubing and lower rod, but the hole would have to be small and not very strong, or make tubing on both ends and a disco link between. I just put 34X9.5's on mine and now I am thinking about removing it.

2offroad said:
I'm thinking about fabing up some, cut the rod in half, weld tubing to the top and drill a hole thru the tubing and lower rod, but the hole would have to be small and not very strong, or make tubing on both ends and a disco link between. I just put 34X9.5's on mine and now I am thinking about removing it.

If u land up fabing some, take some pics and post em up here or even PM them to me!! That would be greatly appreciated!!!

I thought about how my jeep handles around town.. (swaybar on)

When I go around a corner the front can hit a bump on one side and not the other and I find it stays in line.

Then when rear driver side takes a hit and the other doesn't ... It feels like you get a tail whip from one side to the other...... like a lifting force on the driver side throws the driver side up. Then the swaybar's effect on the passenger side should compress the suspension causing it to drop.. it seems almost as though it increases the body roll..

It just feels unsettled over this one bump I go over fairly often... it's a mid corner uneven bump..

I plan to pull off the rear bar when I put in my hitch and gas tank skid.. I'll report back if it solves the handling issue..

BiG G

It's been done. I've seen it posted on a XJ on Cardomain. It may have even been posted here. Basically, IIRC, the OEM link was cut in half, a sleeve was welded over the center rod, then a hole was drilled through the sleeve and other rod and held together with a hitch type pin.

Haleyes, you're right--I should lighten up. I won't try to justify what I said, but you were right, and I'm sorry.

Back