• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Update for old noise

BskisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
A couple of months ago I put up a thread for name that noise. I had a banging in the rear end and could not find the culprit.

Well a couple of weeks ago I proceeded to install a gas skid and a rear hitch. As many of you know when you go to take out the bolts holding on the bumper bracket some of them tend to break, unless you are lucky. So I drilled out the broken ones and drilled out all of the holes to accept 3/8"x 1/2" bolts. After drilling through most of the way of the old bolts I went underneath and broke off the remaining part of the bolt.

Well that's when I found the culprit of my noise. I have RE shackles and one of the lower bolts on each side was hitting the shackle. You could see the mark on each shackle exactly where it met with the bolt. There was about 1'' of excess bolt that came through the welded nut that held the bumper bracket. So that's why I went with 1/2" bolts. I thought maybe they were going to be a little short but they were plenty long enough to hold the bracket on, even with a lock washer. This gave plenty of clearance where the shackle met up with the bolt.

Noticed right away that the rear end noise had gone away.
Oh jrsxj98, turns out you were right! :cheers: Just didn't look close enough.

Last edited:
BskisXJ said:
A couple of months ago I put up a thread for name that noise. I had a banging in the rear end and could not find the culprit.

Well a couple of weeks ago I proceeded to install a gas skid and a rear hitch. As many of you know when you go to take out the bolts holding on the bumper bracket some of them tend to break, unless you are lucky. So I drilled out the broken ones and drilled out all of the holes to accept 3/8"x 1/2" bolts. After drilling through most of the way of the old bolts I went underneath and broke off the remaining part of the bolt.

Well that's when I found the culprit of my noise. I have RE shackles and one of the lower bolts on each side was hitting the shackle. You could see the mark on each shackle exactly where it met with the bolt. There was about 1'' of excess bolt that came through the welded nut that held the bumper bracket. So that's why I went with 1/2" bolts. I thought maybe they were going to be a little short but they were plenty long enough to hold the bracket on, even with a lock washer. This gave plenty of clearance where the shackle met up with the bolt.

Noticed right away that the rear end noise had gone away.
Oh jrsxj98, turns out you were right! :cheers: Just didn't look close enough.

Glad you found the knocking.........I know how annoying they can be.

Back