• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 XJ, what radiator???

MuddyMudSkipper

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
I have my 350 4brl installed with 700r4 and 231C case installed, but both my spare rads are plugged and/or have leaks :(
What rad could I use or do I have to get a custom made 4 core rad? PRICE? (Im in Canada) also, what kind of fans are any of you V8 XJ guys using?
Please help :)

..I have a 1986 XJ also with the LT1 350HP V-8 5.7 liter engine with a carbureted set-up and 700R-4,NP 208 transfer case also. I have been advised here at NAXJA and am useing a aluminum radiator from Be-Cool company. Works very well for increased cooling .There are others here at NAXJA useing radiators from Superior Radiator and Griffin. Expect to pay something like $500.00-$700.00 U.S dollars

I don't have any firsthand experience on this topic, but you could try a GDI 3-Core with a dual electric fan setup. You can get it for a little over $100 from 1800radiators.com Make sure you get one for a Closed Cooling system. -Tim

is yours a 4 core?
the single core I had tried kept the temp at about 110 degrees celcius but after it started leaking the temp went up :( and I shut it off.
the 2 core is obviuosly plugged as the temp goes up no matter how many fans I have running!!!
I want it to run at like 80/90 degrees all the time, the temperatures I was getting were only at idle! I'd hate to see how hot it would get revving it!
You think a 3 core with 2 electric fans would do the job?

radiator

I am using a Be Cool works perfectly. never above 210 even in the heat on the trail

Marc

,..err,..don't want to "flame" anybody here,..but I HAD/have a GDI 3-core( ..for sale ..) and ,.. does not cool with this larger engine block... repeat.. it does'nt not work with large Chevy 350 V-8. Yes, it is going to cost a little more than the GDI 3-core,..but.. Again,...Be-Cool,..Griffin,..Superior Radiator,..ALUMINUM radiator is the solution.

Used to be V8 happy back in the day. Had them in everything, and it was always the same when it came time to cool them off. Spend the money and do it right the first time. Either buy an aluminum like they suggested, or have a four core V8 radiator built. The problem you run into is, there isn't much air space around the engine, and electric fans aren't always ideal. If at all possible, put a standard fan on the engine. Also spend money on a good water pump (edelbrock or something like it). Ooohhh yah almost forgot don't let your local radiator guy talk you into letting him build you a "super" 2 core, "super" 3 core or super anything that will save you money because it WILL run hot (been there done that). Good luck

How about this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=46096&item=2419601021

i-1.JPG

Don't worry about bidding against me. I think I'm done. My Modine is doing good on the 4.6L.

Bones

one problem, the outlets are on the wrong side :(
I got a quote from a place in Calgary, said something around $500
I may have to go for that, thought maybe a camaro rad might fit but it's too tall, stupid XJs with their 11"s of height :mad:
my 2 core rad I think is still plugged it's hot on one side and not nearly as hot on the other, so maybe a stock 2 core thats NOT plugged would work, I can start it and let it ile for 10 mins before it gets up to 110 celcius, seems to go down 5-10 degrees,ten back and froth, but if I rev it at all it gets WAY too hot to risk wrecking my 350
:(

When I swaped in the lt1 I had BeCool make me one , I could not be happier, never above 210 degrees. expensive but worth it

for my conversion, im using a 26in wide x 17in tall universal from jegs by HOWE racing. i cant comment on how it works yet, havent fired it, and it requires a bit of massaging to fit by my measurements, but the upside is, the universal fit radiators are 200 bucks, vs the same thing but custom size for 400. take some measurements and look at the alum. 3 core universal fits in jegs and summit from griffin and howe, and be cool, and decide if you wanna try to make one fit. worth the 200-300 in savings if you ask me.
~John

Hey, John. What kind of fabrication did you have to do in order to mount up that radiator?

Brent

Back