• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did I do?

mmarriottxj

NAXJA Forum User
I lost a ujoint the other day on my dana 30, took out the outer shafts until I got replacements. Then I left them out, put the tires back on and drove it around for a couple days. Just read this was probably a very bad idea. What might I have done and what do I need to check out? TIA.

mmarriottxj said:
I lost a ujoint the other day on my dana 30, took out the outer shafts until I got replacements. Then I left them out, put the tires back on and drove it around for a couple days. Just read this was probably a very bad idea. What might I have done and what do I need to check out? TIA.
Your unibearing might be falling appart.

another words the part that hold the tire on will split in half and you'll be watching you tire go down the street with out you.go to the store and get a new joint they aren't that much.if you can afford it then atleast split the shaft and reinstall just the stub shaft and axle nut.at this point i would also look into getting a new hub bearing assembly as well

Sealed hub/bearings wont come apart cause if you look at where the washer behind the axle nut seats and where the axle shaft seats the splined shank in the bearing is solid and you are actually tightening the washer to the shaft. This only applies on "sealed hubs" which come on most. The idea of it coming apart applies to fWD cars and some other 4wds. I have never had a problem but always left the axle stub in just cause I didn't want to lose it................

gptherezonlyone said:
Sealed hub/bearings wont come apart cause if you look at where the washer behind the axle nut seats and where the axle shaft seats the splined shank in the bearing is solid and you are actually tightening the washer to the shaft. This only applies on "sealed hubs" which come on most. The idea of it coming apart applies to fWD cars and some other 4wds. I have never had a problem but always left the axle stub in just cause I didn't want to lose it................

:twak: yes they will come appart. I remember couple times people did the same exact thing and later they posted wondering what happened. Also not too long ago someone posted a pic of a unibearing that fell appart (that one from age though)

Unfortunately, Im stationed overseas, and Italy doesnt have a checker on every corner. Thats why the part wasnt replaced right away. I ordered 3 (will have spares now) I just wanted to know if i need to check something, or go ahead and order something else that I most likey damaged. The jeep is parked safely in the garage until parts arrive, so Im not looking for the quick fix. Thanks for the replies, you guys are quick.

Back