• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Soft Locker with manual trans.

XAIRCAV

NAXJA Forum User
I did the search but I'm looking for recent, first hand experience with a Detroit Soft locker in a manual transmission XJ that is used about 70% on road
30% off road. The on road is in an urban area with lots of street turns.
How about a Detroit Tru Trac as a viable alternative? They just released a Tru Trac for 29 spline 8.25 rears.

You won't have any problems with the Detroit and a stick. It will give you a slight push one way or the other now and then, but nothing you won't get used to real quick, and it may pop now and then, but soft lockers don't pop much. You won't get the more dramatic characteristics like you would with an EZ Locker or Lockright and a stick, but even that isn't a big deal.

In an automatic the soft locker is invisible.

I don't have too many problems with mine. The same issues that Goatman mentioned where the back end will just kind of go off in one direction every once in a while. Takes a little getting used to, but otherwise not an issue.

I had a TrueTrac in my D35 for a while and I never knew it was back there. However, offroad it didn't do a whole lot more than the stock limited slip did for me. Better, yes, but nothing like the Soft Locker.

Kent

you might notice a little bang when you change gears and dont ease into the next gear or romping on it after coasting

this happens with all auto lockers

I got a detroit.... and I've put at least 15K miles on it that way and I got no complaints. As a matter of fact it's like it's not even there on the street. I don't know if the design has changed or whether it's the fact that I put in 75 140 synth lube in it but it runs real smooth.
Now I'll be lying if it won't kick once every blue moon, but when it does I know to check the pressure and guess what: it's off. So probably part of the trick is also to keep an eye on your pressure and tire size (uneven wear)

Thank you all for your erudite advice. The decision has been made to go with a Tru Trac front with 297 joint axles and a Soft Locker in the rear with 29 spline axles. I already have 4.10 gears. I'm tired of being the weak sister on the trails.

Bill

I got the full Detroit locker in my XJ with a manual trans. I LOVED that combo offroad, but I HATED IT on the street. For awhile I was telling everyone I wish I'd gotten a spool instead. (Yes, I've drivien spools on the street. No problem.) But after time went by and many, many miles passed under my Jeep, I hardly notice it's there anymore and it's always worked

Back