• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build sheet codes

88bluecrunched

NAXJA Forum User
First off i have used the search button and havent found an answer. I went down to my local dealership and they printed out a build sheet kinda it has the codes but doesnt say what any of them are. So what I am trying to find is what the codes mean from 88 is there a web site or something that would let me know? Thanks for any help at all

88bluecrunched said:
First off i have used the search button and havent found an answer. I went down to my local dealership and they printed out a build sheet kinda it has the codes but doesnt say what any of them are. So what I am trying to find is what the codes mean from 88 is there a web site or something that would let me know? Thanks for any help at all

www.Jeep.com Go to customer service, and e mail them for a build sheet. Your answer should be provided in a reasonable amount of time.

'88 codes are almost guaranteed to be different from the current ones. There have been quite a few folks that have gotten build sheets for their older, typically AMC/Renix engined Cherokees only to find that they supposedly have (and I'm making these up...mostly) rear-seat DVD, or different colors and trim, or some form of a V8, or options that are so wildly non-Cherokee...because Jeep/Daimler-Chrysler recycles those codes.

Yucca-Man said:
'88 codes are almost guaranteed to be different from the current ones. There have been quite a few folks that have gotten build sheets for their older, typically AMC/Renix engined Cherokees only to find that they supposedly have (and I'm making these up...mostly) rear-seat DVD, or different colors and trim, or some form of a V8, or options that are so wildly non-Cherokee...because Jeep/Daimler-Chrysler recycles those codes.
Here's mine for an '87 --- BTW, this is just how it came from the dealership . . . so, if yours doesn't have the description, the dealer printed off a different form - if they want to (and/or you ask real nice) they can get the info. As Yucca-Man says, there are some obvious errors on my build sheet . . . but it's a starting point:

-----------------------------

---- VEHICLE INFORMATION PLUS SUMMARY REPORT ----
09/15/2003 15:13 Joe Blow MOTORS PAGE 1
-------------------------------------------------
VIN: 1JCML7825HTxxxxxx WCC: 0 Current Odometer:UNKNWN Miles
lYr/Model: 1987 DESC NOT FOUND In-Serv Date: UNSOLD

----------- ALL VEHICLE OPTIONS -----------------

BodyStyle: XJJM74 Build Date: 01/14/1987 Hour: 24
Color 1: PE4 -*** DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE ***
2: QE4 -*** DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE ***
Options Descriptions
*A6 Seats -Vinyl High Back Bucket CAC below says low back?
-YY *** DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE ***
ADA Light Group
ADB Protection Group
AGJ Indy 500 Special Edition Group not sure what this is?
AHL Heavy Duty Insulation Group
APA Monotone Paint
AWJ Visibility Group
BCQ Battery - 750 Amp Maintenance Free
CAC Seats - Low Back Bucket *A6 above says high back?
CGW Air Bags - Front, Next Generation** air-bags?
CGY Air Bag - Drvr Inflatable Knee-Bolster air-bags?
CKA Carpets - Floor and Cargo Area
CSA Spare Tire Cover
CUF Console - Full Length Floor
DDQ Transmission - 5-Speed Manual
DMR Axle Ratio - 7.17 try 3.07!
ERB *** DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE ***
GAC Windows - Tinted Glass nope, plain
GFA Defroster - Rear Window
GTZ Mirrors - Power, Fold-Away nope, manual
HCC Heater - w/Upper Level Ventilation
JAY Instrument Cluster w/Tach
JFH Tachometer
JGB Clock - Digital
JHA Windshield Wipers - Var Intermittent
JHB Wiper/Washer - Rear Window
K60 STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING
LAP Warning Lamp - Shift Indicator
LBB Lamps - Courtesy
LDA Lamp - Underhood
LMA Headlamps - Halogen
MCA Bumper Guards - Front
MCB Bumper Guards - Rear
MDA Bracket - Front License Plate
MWA Roof Rack
NAA Emissions - Federal
NFA Fuel Tank - 20 Gallon w/Tethered Cap nope, 13.5 gallon
NMB Engine Cooling - Standard Duty
PE4 *** DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE ***
QE4 *** DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE ***
RAC Radio - AM, MTR
SBA Steering - Power
SCG Steering Wheel - Leather Wrapped
SDB Suspension - Heavy Duty
SUA Steering Column - Tilt
TBG Spare Tire - Compact
TBL Spare Tire - Inside Mount
WJD Wheels - 15 x 7.0 Styled Steel
XJH Fuel Filler Cap - Locking no evidence that is was ever locking

--------- E N D O F RE P O R T ----------

----------------------

BTW - the post that says to email the website is correct for newer models, but probably won't work for AMC era or early ChryCo era XJ's. At least that's what those that have tried have reported.

All I got from the dealer was a sheet that has 3 letter codes and they all say description not available. Do anyone think it might be possible that if I contacted a bigger jeep dealership they might have different info? And if anyone has been able to get info on a 88 cherokee what dealership did you get it through because the one I went to did't seem to even know what a build sheet was I had to explain it to them.

red91inWA said:
www.Jeep.com Go to customer service, and e mail them for a build sheet. Your answer should be provided in a reasonable amount of time.

You must have better connections than I. "Jeep.com" was asked over a month ago by me and never even resoponded. I finally went to a local dealer, purchased a tube of touch-up paint and asked him for a copy of the build sheet he had confirmed the color on from the VIN I gave him....."BAM" right in my hand! (buy things from people who care)

idahjo said:
. . . purchased a tube of touch-up paint and asked him for a copy of the build sheet . . .
I got my printout from the parts department, too. Maybe the parts department has access to a different printout than the service department (if that's where you tried the first time)?

red87cherokee said:
I got my printout from the parts department, too. Maybe the parts department has access to a different printout than the service department (if that's where you tried the first time)?
ONLY went to the parts department...

I got my build sheets from the service department.

Red87Cherokee, I see two codes on yours that are listed as ***NO DESCRIPTION***. PE4 and QE4 are the paint codes for Colorado Red -- same as my '88 Comanche. The P color is the primray, and the Q color is the secondary if you have a 2-tone.

Eagle said:
I got my build sheets from the service department.

Red87Cherokee, I see two codes on yours that are listed as ***NO DESCRIPTION***. PE4 and QE4 are the paint codes for Colorado Red -- same as my '88 Comanche. The P color is the primray, and the Q color is the secondary if you have a 2-tone.
Colorado Red, it is . . . one tone as you surmised. I had already bought some touch-up paint prior to getting this printout, so I wasn't worried about the paint code being blank . . . but, thanks, anyway.

Back