• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chopping the xj

jeepfreak

NAXJA Forum User
i am seriously thinking of chopping my xj maybe the top and maybe in half is a 90 4.0 98 tj front and i only got like 600 bucks in it and it runs great paid 450 for it then stole the tj front before the repo man came anyway what do those who have done this think is it worth the hassle i am already thinking of leaves up front (trying to save money since i am not made of the stuff) let me know what you think also special thanks to yellowxj he has been a great help with my hacking ideas

Just the few you've seen, still a work in progress. Mine does not deserve to be mentioned in the same thred as Beezil's. I have more of a "winning ugly" look going. Beezil has almost a production concept...perfect.
I just got the inside Durabak done. I'll take some shots before starting the storage boxes.

Rev

Burbs at DEFCON 2

Last edited:
holy c**p beezil do you have your fab skills bottled cause if you do you could be rich. You're a lot better than the c**p around here.You obviously take pride in your work.My wife continued to say" We are doing that to our cherokee"! I have to agree with her.I really like the pick-up truck look.Thank you for the pictures and motivation.

Only because Beezil asked, I just went out to the bomb shelter and snapped these. Still trying for the worst quality pics on the web award. I did see a write up from someone who put a CJ back on thier XJ....but cannot seem to find it.

Durabak.JPG

Rev

Hey Jeepfreak!I was looking at beezil's pictures.I vote that if you want to chop your jeep you should pay him for the blue prints to all of his work.The cherokee pick-up is a really cool idea.I wonder how hard it would be to cut the back of a MJ cab and fab it to your cherokee?That way you would have a pre-made bulkhead with a window.

Hey Rev Den,How is the structual integrity holding up with the roof cut like that?Are you having any problems?Would you have prefered to have gone with a full roll cage?Looks good though.I also have to agree with you, I don't think that I could ever make mine look as good as Beezil's.However I could just try and buy his.

Rev Den, I definately want to be there when you finally get that thing on the trail.

Borton hacked a mj rear onto his.

I'm not sure how Beezilbutt did his. I just know he needs to fire up his welder for another 10-12 hours.

Check out Goatman's ride too, definately check out his cage work. That man has an uncanny ability to envision exactly what is needed, nothing more- nothing less.

Sean

So far.....so good. I have beat it pretty hard recentlly and it held up fine. HOWEVER....the roof ain't just cut, I cut it and rolled the metal back down over the existing roof "frame" and welded it, I also braced the corners. The B hoop is tied to the B piller to help distribute the load. A front hoop will eventually make its way into the plan.

Rev

DISCLAIMER: I agree with Beezil (oh the horror) if you are not 100% sure of what you want to do, and understand what you are doing.....DON"T DO IT!!! I took a chance, this is not a DD and has 12years and 240K miles of Illinois roads on it....I had nothing to lose. Mine is simple, and I thought about it allot and still ran into things....little stuff, like tailights....that drove me mad.

hmmmmmmm more welder jokes....

I hope I catch you and mark standing at the edge of a cliff together

then i can get both of you at the same time!

you guys are killing me (must start chopping now) do you have any side pics the wrangler rear is awsome i love this site i reall really do i hope when i get done i can go on a ride where you are all at

Back