• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pics of my rust problem, need help

19cherokee92

NAXJA Forum User
discovered this under the carpet. found lots of info on fixing rust from searching but nothing that addresses what needs to be done about this support on the underside. it looks like that is where the water came in to cause the rust around the seat bolts. it is totally in the way of cutting the metal out and welding new stuff in and prevents me from doing other methods of rust repair that I have seen on this board. can I just cut over the support from above to remove the rusted section of floor around the seat bolt?

jeepbmp.jpg

first picture shows the brace I am talking about. it is directly under where the seat sits in the cabin and the seat bolt goes thru the floor and into that brace.

second picture shows the rear seat bolt from above and the rust I found. I know its not bad but want to fix it before it gets worse

thanks for any help

can't tell to much from the pics but it looks like you can get away with just grinding it and re painting it

not sure are there any holes?

POR 15... should take care of it no problem. If you follow their directions, the stuff is amazing. Get their little starter kit. MORE than enough to do that and 10 other jobs.

You are very lucky if that's all the rust you have. I have a '92 XJ and the whole pass. side floorboard, from the firewall to the rear seat, and halfway up the center hump was gone. Only thing you could see was the framerail looking thru the inside. Also the inside where the floorboard meets the inside rocker panel was gone, had to fab one with angle iron, to get the new sheet metal to lay on to put the floor in. It was a very tough job, but it's fixed. Done a lot of hammering to the sheet metal to get it to lay down right. Attached the sheet metal with rivets and sheet metal screws, then i used seam sealer to cover the seams and the screw heads. I let it dry for about 2 days, then i used POR-15 on the entire XJ floor, and underneath the new sheet metal floorboard. I let that dry and i used bedliner on the entire floor. I did not put the carpet back in. I thaught the interior noise would be unbearable, but it's not too bad. The carpet is usually what rots the floorboard in the XJ's. There are so many places that you get leaks, and don't even know it. The seal around the heater fan is the worst place, or the little drain holes under the piece of rubber that seals the rear of the hood to the cowl. I took that piece of rubber out, and trashed it. Then i used RTV and sealed all the holes along where the rubber seal was. I also sealed the heater fan seal with gobs of RTV. No more leaks. I found out that my leaks was coming from the seal and the drain holes in the cowl. Sorry this is so long. I'm done now :repair:

NAXJA member #579
Darrell

Last edited:
thanks for the responses

I used a wire brush and scrubbed the rust away and did not find any holes, gets thin but no holes

so you guys are saying its not bad and i can POR15 the underside on the seam in the first picture?? do the top in the cabin and then use some more POR on the underside to plug spot where water was getting in?

can I just use anything to seal the underside right there? or will POR15 on the underside work best?

Back