• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mechanic's opinion of the 4.0

bline

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=8319&sid=281&n=158

Mechanic’s Tale: The Final Four
More engines to send everyone else back to the drawing boards.
by Douglas Flint (2005-03-21)

This is a continuation of the Top Ten Engines of my automotive generation - and my list goes to eleven. The rules are simple. The engine has to have been in mass production use (no Porsche or Audi please), and it has to have been in at least one successful vehicle and served for many years.

The next award must be given posthumously because it is going to the AMC 4.0-liter engine (American Motors Corporation to those of you under 40). In 1984 the Jeep division of AMC invented the sport-utility vehicle as we know it. In the past, four-wheel-drive vehicles had been the domain of hunters, mountain men, and farmers - quite unsuited for civil use (unless you count the rarefied few who used Jeep Grand Wagoneers to tow their horses aroundMiddleburg, Virginia).

The Jeep Cherokee of 1984 changed all that. With four doors, reasonable size, and good styling it brought four-wheel drive to the suburbs. Just one problem: it didn't have an engine. It used a GM-built 2.8 liter carbureted V-6, a very weak engine in both power and durability. Not much use if you were going to tow or go off-road - two things a Jeep should be able to do.

In 1987, the last year of AMC, the vehicle was re-engineered to accept an updated version of the 1963 AMC in-line six-cylinder engine, which had been used in Ramblers, Gremlins, and even the infamous fishbowl Pacer. The actual displacement of the engine decreased slightly from 4.2 liters to 4.0, but by adding fuel injection onto this engine they produced so much horsepower and torque it was actually scary when you first drove one and accelerated. Now we are used to the level of performance that electronic fuel injection can provide a big engine - but it was a new feeling then.

The basic engine design was extremely sound, with seven main bearings making sure that crankshaft wasn't going anywhere. It was extremely smooth running, although the balky electronics gave it a longer crank time than it should have had. I have never seen one of these engines fail - ever. Chrysler bought AMC in 1987 to obtain the desirable Jeep division, but continued to build the Jeep unchanged until '91, when the electronics of the big 4.0 six were upgraded. Chrysler added their own 5.2-liter V-8 as an option on the Grand Cherokee but it seemed to have less power and definitely less durability than the Big Six. This engine continued to serve as the main engine to the Cherokee/Grand Cherokee series until 2004 - a 15-year run - and most will probably still be running when the newer Jeep engines have all died.

Brings a tear to my eye.....
Actually that is cool to hear though. I've talked to people who know very little about Jeeps that have still said "don't the engines on those last forever?" and every time I say "yeah, damn right they do."

Another highly successful/durable motor is the VW 8v...

I had mine last 170K until I just got sick of the oil burning and wanted to drop a bigger block and some performance parts in it for more go...

It still ran like a top and with a set of valve seals th same motor lives on today in an 80 scirocco we sold...

That said I'm driving my new 4.0 now...

It's as smooth at startup as a new motor.... even with 144K

My hat is off to the 4 liter...

Even before I knew a thing about jeeps I had heard the engines are built like tanks!

The entire article makes for an interesting read and is well worth spending some time on. While I personally disagree with some of his picks, he's got some great points on both the pros and cons of each. Good find!

Back