• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear End Diff (or a vibrating back massager?)

All,

Any idea if the diff out of a Dana 35 equipped 1999 Wrangler will fit a Dana 35 equipped 2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4? The guy with the Wrangler diff says it as "open" if that matters. I assume all Wranglers are 4x4 & thus the diff should be the same. I can always swap the gears off of the old diff if necessary. Anyway, the rear end in my 2000 Cherokee makes some intermittent noise/vibration while driving. Not all of the time, but often enough to make me second guess a long road trip. I am about to get a re-bearing kit for it (and have an excuse to get a hydraulic press) and located this diff from the Wrangler guy. My Cherokee has had the pax side axle shaft & bearing replaced once, and some metal was noted in the rear end oil during that, so... I'd like to swap the diff when I can.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

M Randolph
Fallbrook, CA
[email protected]
========
The dirt toys...
2000 Cherokee Sport 4x4
1994 Cherokee Sport 4x2 (i know, why bother)

The asphalt ones...
1972 El Camino
1969 GTO 400/400
1967 Chevelle SS 396
1967 Malibu
1966 Nova II

and one ticked off wife!

You'll have to either set it up for leaf springs, or set the Jeep up for coils.

Edit: I think I misunderstood though, as it sounds like you are only swapping diffs.

Last edited:
The short answer is yes the differential (carrier) from a 99 TJ D-35 axle will fit a 2000 XJ D-35 axle. Before you just swap the carriers make sure the gear ratios are compatable. There is a carrier size difference between gear ratios. Can;t recall the D-35 break point, think it's 3.55 and up. Someone here with more D-35 experience will correct me. This could be a factor as your XJ most likely has 3.55 gears (if automatic) and stock TJ's of that era with an open differental and 5 speed came with 3.05 gears. You need to know what the two vehicle gear ratios are and make sure the carrier (differential) is compatable with both sets of gears.
A vibration is most common with a bad set of bearings. Before you buy the carrier from the tj, open your's up and inspect all the gears. Including the side gears in the carrier itself. If you found metal pieces while fixing the axle bearing, pieces of some teeth should be missing if it's the gears. Point here is give it a good inspection before you leap off the swapping the carrier ledge. If the gears/carrier are in fact not bad, changing the bearings is all you would need to do. If by chance they are the same ratio gears remember pinons and ring gears are intended to be matched sets.

Back