• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid plates, and protection

C85D4x4

NAXJA Member #1311
Please, im just wondering what ur opinion is.

I was just wondering what skid plate/protection i should get?
What is the most important one i should get first?
Which one should i get last?

I am having my rockers cut out and replaced with box tubing do to rust, so you can skip that one.

I off-road with some rock, but mostly stumps and logs.

C85D4x4 said:
Please, im just wondering what ur opinion is.

I was just wondering what skid plate/protection i should get?
What is the most important one i should get first?
Which one should i get last?

I am having my rockers cut out and replaced with box tubing do to rust, so you can skip that one.

I off-road with some rock, but mostly stumps and logs.

t-case hangs lowest
tow points i would go for first
engine tranny next - oil pan colapse and loss of oil flow would suck
gas tanks are the cheapest parts of the low hanging parts - so i would get that last...

a reciver also helps with gas tank protection as it becomes the limit on the departure angle and the gas tank isnt.

i would get bumpers last...

C85D4x4 said:
What do you recomend for the t-case being that i have a one inch drop kit on it?

Thanks XJ_ranger

Factory, or aftermarket skid will still do the trick, but you may have to use spacers on it as well to make it all even. I would recommend t-case first as well, provided you have tow points.

Your rockers?

Trees and stumps...

I am searching for Rock Rails that have extentions to protect my Body panels.

JMotorsprt said:
Your rockers?

Trees and stumps...

I am searching for Rock Rails that have extentions to protect my Body panels.

Ok........................

Is there a question or a point to your response????????

Or am i just not seeing it?

Im replaceing them b/c they are rusted out!

C854X4- Just a heads up; my TNT Customs belly/transfer case skid (www.tntcustoms.com) came in today and its no joke, plus it has a built in 1 inch drop for the transfer case.

For the gas tank skid look into the Rock Lizard skid (www.rocklizardfabrications.com/tortoise_skids.htm); it came in today too! This thing kicks ass, it's no joke as well. Martin is great to work with.

Read between the lines. The point was not to forget and weld on extentions to protect the upper body from trees.

For the rest of my skids, I kept an eye open for respectable prices. Yesterday traded beer for my front skid, and my cousins front and gas tank skid. Found my LCA skids on sale off of Skid Rows web site. Tranfer case skid came from Rusty's, on clearance do to some surface rust. Everthing is going to be recoated with a Rustoleum Bronze Hammerite finish.

First major mod made to my XJ, after modifying the rocker panels going over a steep sand berm, was using a rock to turn my 20 gallon gas tank into the 13 gallon version. So protect your gas tank next. Then fab up a set of bumpers, beef up & protect your lower control arm mounts at the axle, then build a flat cross member to protect the T case & gain in ground clearance.

I tried the factory front skid but rocks kept geeting wedged between it & the front axle

MistWolf said:
I tried the factory front skid but rocks kept geeting wedged between it & the front axle
how does that happen? do you still have a tie rod?

XJ_ranger said:
how does that happen? do you still have a tie rod?
Happened years and years ago out at Azusa Canyon in California. Don't recall what the butchers' bill was but I got rid of the skid & never looked back

Gas Tank skid first. I've got one small dent on my rocker panel, no damage to the t-case but my gas tank is so bashed in i'm having problems putting fuel in it.

Yup.. I went to the yard to pull parts..

I found an XJ front skid with big ass scratches on it..... and then some mean scrapes on the pan of the T-Case (no skid on this one) And then the hitch I ended up getting for myself was scratched up as well... the kicker was the gas tank was bashed in about 4 inches and the seams were busted open...

My underbelly is still pristine as my new XJ has never been wheeled...

I tell you this.. after seeing how beat the bottom of that thing was I WILL NOT go wheeling until I have a Front, T-Case, and Gastank skid... OEM at least..

The boxed rockers will go in after I've beat my stock ones up a bit... they're already a little beat from an "on road" incident so I have no qualms about hacking them out..

So my answer is ALL OF THEM come first...

Back