• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding sliders?

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
i went install some jks supernerfs this past weekend and the self tapers into the frame dont seam very strong . THe holes didnt line up pefect and i had to elongate the holes...id like to get the brackets welded to the frame. Is this good bad or dont it matter

What do you mean by "the holes didn't line up?"

You should have had to drill all the holes for the sliders yourself.

You can always weld them if you want, but what if you need to take them off in the future.

The self tappers are perfectly adequate for the frame mounts.

the holes i drilled into the frame for the self tapers to go into are off a little and im afraid if i drill them out more they are not going to support anything that they will just pull out. i might be ok using bigger self tappers? theres 5 bolts that go through the pinch weld to i was just worried about ripping the things off thats all

It sounds like he drilled all of the holes at one time with the nerfs off the Jeep. This would be an explination for the holes being off. So i would think that in order to make them work he took off enough metal to make the self tappers go in, this, I think, would make the mounts a little weaker than if the holes were drilled one at a time and the screws went in perfectly. I would use your own judgment, if you think you took off too much with the drilling then you need to beef up the mounting ,and if you are even asking this I think you should make it stronger. Now as far as welding them goes, that will make it hard to get them off if you ever need to. Maybe you could just re- the holes through the nerfs, and use an all together bigger screw. That might just stiffen them up, if the screw is a tighter fit into the hole you made. Just an idea. Joe

That's what I figured.

I would not enlarge the holes and expect the self tappers to work. If you need to enlarge the holes to match the pattern, go to ACE, or another hardware store and get some larger self tappers to match the hole size you drilled. If the hole is bigger than the hole on the sliders, drill the slider to match.

Dirk Pitt said:
That's what I figured.

I would not enlarge the holes and expect the self tappers to work. If you need to enlarge the holes to match the pattern, go to ACE, or another hardware store and get some larger self tappers to match the hole size you drilled. If the hole is bigger than the hole on the sliders, drill the slider to match.

Yea, what he said!

Kejtar said:
Make the holes bigger, and going all the way through. Then sleeve them and use a long bolt to go all the way through.

just remember the fuel and brake lines right there as you drill through....

Silverstreak01 said:
haha thanks for the heads up .. i actually thought of doing that already and saw the fuel lines and kind of nixed that idea...
Actually it's easy: I popped the plastic pieces that hold it into the frame out of the frame. Then I put a piece of wood (I cut a block out of a 2x4 and slimmed it down) over the area where I was going to be drilling and I went at it. You'll feel the change when you leave metal and start drilling the wood. If you're going to do it this way, I recommend drilling holes first same size all the way through then enlarge the outside hole in order to slip the sleeve in.

Back