• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Jeep won't crank over!

iroc86

NAXJA Forum User
I seem to be having an issue with my '98 Cherokee, in that it won't even crank over when I turn the key to the START position. Everything else works just fine. When I turn the key, the relays in the underhood fuse box click, as well as a relay inside the passenger-side kick panel. There is no clicking from the starter solenoid. I've swapped the relays out with other ones and the problem remains, so I don't really think it's related to that. It can be started if the key is turned to ON and I jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver. Still, this is an intermittent problem.

Now, I bought this Jeep as a totaled vehicle (front-end collision). It's basically road-worthy now, but I've heard stories that important wires tend to be severed in a front-end Cherokee collision, rendering the vehicle unstartable. I looked when I put everything back together and I didn't find any broken wires, and the only wires that traverse the front bumper are part of the headlight harness, anyway.

I'm currently thinking that it's either a problem with the neutral safety switch or the crankshaft position sensor. If it were the CPS, though, I think that I would experience some engine issues -- it idles just fine when it does run (I haven't actually driven it yet). Is there anything else that I should check?

The CPS doesn't affect cranking ... only firing. A vehicle with a bad CPS will sit there and crank all day.

Have you tried starting in neutral rather than park?

Thanks for the insight, guys. I didn't know that about the CPS, so I can rule that one out. It didn't crank when I tried starting in neutral.

I was able to start it last night and pulled it forward about three feet (read: moving the shifter) before I realized I forgot to add power steering fluid. I put it in park, turned the engine off, and it hasn't started since then. That sorta leads me to believe it's a neutral safety switch-related problem. Thanks for the link, MudslinginXJ, I'll have to try that. It's certainly better than spending $250 for a new switch!

I will check the battery cable more thoroughly than I did last night. It still looks fairly new, though.

Have you tried turning the key with one hand while jiggling the shifter with the other? Last ywear I was at a gas station and a young lady with a brand new TJ Wrangler was wandering around looking for someone with jumper cables. Her Jeep was at the pump and wouldn't start. Once I saw how new it was, I just hopped in and jiggled the handle ... it fired right up.

I also think that it is the NSS. When I put in my rebuilt tranny and tranfer case I had the same problem when I went to start it. Only by jumping the starter that it would start. Switched switches and problem solved.

Well, it turns out the neutral safety switch was the problem -- though for a rather unusual reason.

When I took everything apart, I found the wiper arm CRACKED and in two pieces. How this happened I have absolutely no idea, since there's no stress whatsoever on the arm. I was going to try JB Welding it back together, but I'm afraid that it would break again at an inopportune time (really though, when is a good time?).

Instead of shelling out $267 for a new switch, I'm going to try the junkyard. Hopefully they won't know how much it really costs :). Did the Aisin AW4 come in any vehicles besides Jeeps?

Back