• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd cherokee = XJ too?

ApacheMechanic said:
I have a 98 2wd cherokee :( Is it still considered an XJ? or is just 4x4's XJ's? If so , do you guys have any 2wd members? JUst a newbie question :)

1.) YES.

2.) YES. But they are less likely to admit it. Lock the Rear, and you can go alot of places...

Welcome.

ApacheMechanic said:
I have a 98 2wd cherokee :( Is it still considered an XJ? or is just 4x4's XJ's? If so , do you guys have any 2wd members? JUst a newbie question :)
you could always convert to a 4x4. Plenty of info on it. :D

Certainly my good man - like peoples, the XJ comes in many flavours and capabilities!

All of these are considered XJ's:
Jeep Mid-sized Cherokee, 1984-2001

Isn't that easy?
(OK, I just couldn't help myself for a minute... Just finished finals yesterday, and I'm still blowing off a little pressure.)

But the short answer is yes, it is; and yes, we do.

Even in 2WD trim, the XJ is a capable and very useful rig. Converting to 4WD takes a little work (front axle/transmission tailshaft housing & mainshaft/transfer case/front & rear driveshafts) but can be done without too much trouble - just find a donor and hack away! Or, just keep this one for a "parts getter" (real XJ owners don't have "grocery-getters") and find a good 4WD iteration. They're cheap enough and worth having several (I've got catching up to do - I've only got three!)

Welcome aboard!

5-90

If you get a chance, check out Jeepspeed The predominant flavor of XJ's there are the 2wd variety. They are awesome rigs, built to take high speed desert abuse.....

I wish I was close enough to participate in that type of activity, as it's always been my favorite type of off road events...

Ivan

Don't let the guys give you too much grief about running 2wd. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado driving a 2wd Ford pickup on the ranch. I learned how to drive and get places with the 2wd that would surprise many. The key is to use some common sense and develop the skill.

I am no expert on the designations but here is what I have picked up. Over the years Jeep would refer to their models by letter followed by a "J". General Motors (GM) does the same thing. My 89 Buick Century was a "A" body, my 2003 Le Sabre is a "H" body and the 2005 Chevy Impala is a "W" body.

It is a way the people who design and build them have a quick way to refer to the specific product. The name of the product is something the marketing guys come up with but during development they use a designation like XJ to make life easier. You remember when Jeep sold the CJ-5 and CJ-7? Also the Grand Cherokee has had a couple of designations.

Back in 1988 there were several trim packages for the XJ, they were Cherokee, Cherokee Pioneer, Cherokee Loredo, Cherokee Limited, Cherokee Chief, & Wagoneer Limited. Yes, even though it does not have the name "cherokee" the Wagoneer is a full XJ.

The Pick up version was call the Comanche, I think 1991 was the last model year for the Comanche. The Comanche is a MJ. The XJ and MJ were available in 2wd or 4wd, so either way you have a XJ or MJ.

So chill out and enjoy your XJ, most of the parts are the same you just lack the 4x4 unique items.

i have been wheelin a 2000. 2wd since late 2002. and have had a lot of fun with it. i am not sure but mine had the tow package and what appears to be a now blown limited slip.(factory option?) anyway lotsa fun..and just so you know i am in the middle of my 4x4 conversion and i will get it done for under 1000..or so it looks..also note in some states haveing 4x4 on your vin gets you higher insurance rates if you are a male...(this is half the reason i bought 2wd/ saved me hundreds every six months.) now they will never know i own a 4x4..cuz my vin says otherwise..Rangers Lead The Way

Welcome .Sure its an XJ.Enjoy it and hello from a neighbor.

Hey man, I ran a 2wd for a long time before i finally managed to kill it (side of a chevy pickup...didn't go well). I have that same 2wd's engine running my current 4x4. So yea, I'll strike up a 4x2 as an xj! I may have been pulled outta the sand and mud by others a little more in that truck, but I agree with Old Man, it really honed my off highway skills, because I had to compensate skill for my truck's ability. Just be proud that you're the current owner of one of the best vehicles ever produced!

on a few of the Jeep forums i took a uniquness to being on e of the FEW lifted 2wds

somewhat infamous, but yes famous as well

then i converted to 4wd... (for just under $500) and now i fit in with the rest of the lifted XJs... but i miss the attention

hey man i have a 2001 2wd and i still have lots of fun

i've gone mudding a couple of time and did good (just have to go fast)

today i went rock crawling and did verywell

just always have a buddy with u cause in 2wd you will get stuck very easly specially without some kind of locker.

but hey have fun, dont let people "dissin" u keep u from whelling.

Does anyone else see the irony? "Welcome we're all XJ brothers, etc ..." yet they hid this thread pretty good! :D

Anyway, I have both a 2wd and a 4X4. The 2wd really sucks in snow but I was surprised the one time I took it off road. If you still have the crappy RT/S tires that (probably) came with it ditch them - you'll be way ahead of the game! Enjoy it - it's a Jeep!

Back