• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MPG-what's everyone getting?

hangubus

NAXJA Forum User
Hey i just thought it would be interesting seeing what kind of gas milage everyone is getting...

leave your MPG and MODs that effect it thanks

I've got a 99' classic with the auto trans and a k&n drop in filter and I get 20-22 on the highway, and it has been as high as 24 mpg. Around town (which is me driving two miles to school and back, usually in 4wd because I go to school in northern michigan) I get about 12. 15-16 mpg is a more common number I see when I'm driving around town

hangubus said:
Hey i just thought it would be interesting seeing what kind of gas milage everyone is getting...

leave your MPG and MODs that effect it thanks
We all think it would interesting finding out what kind of gas mileage you're getting and what mods you have.

In other words, ...you start. It's your thread. :speepin:

Varies alot. Commute to school is only a couple of miles, so short distance driving is really eating my milage. But I drive 10 miles to work in the afternoon, and 10 miles back home.

Average milage lately has been in the 12-14mpg range, and i'm easy on her. I hardly ever run the defroster or a/c. Just regular ole vent, or if it's nice out, i'll roll the windows down. Colder days, especially in winter, I was getting 8-9mpg. Weather turns warm, milage goes up.

Completely stock 99 4.0L, AW4, blahh blahh blahhh, you know the rest..lol.

Before the lift of 6" and 32x11.5 I got 23 Hwy 17 city on a 2001 Cherokee Sport with 235/75/15. I'll bet I lost about 2 mpg but I don't know yet as I just replaced the speedo drive gear 5 minutes ago. Stock axles are D30 and D35 with 3.55's.

I have never checked it to be shure, but I'm guessing 17-18 city (mostly) highway combined. I'm kind of a lead foot, have a K&N drop in, a Flow Master 40 on the stock pipe, 31's on 3.55's with the auto, and 3 inch lift. Oh, and its a 2000. Don't even ask about the ZJ though. I cringe even thinking about it.

89 Stocker with 40L and 242, only removed the airhorn so far. just got 18 mpg today here mostly on the freeway around town.

Mines a 89 4.0 5sp. the motor is stock for the time being. I removed the cat installed a cheap glass pack. The last time i drove it for an extended period of time (mid october) I was getting 19 to 20 mpg. It has 230,000 miles on it.

89 XJ 4.0 AW4 stock...well except for the sweet Kraco in the dash. Well maintained mechanically. I do mixed driving. My average mileage per tank in winter is 19.5 to 20.8. In the summer it jumps up to 20.3 to 22.5. Just highway driving in the summer I get about 24.3 and once got just shy of 25. Yes, the fact that I can give you these numbers means I am a sick freak. I have recorded every tank of gas I ever put in it.

98 XJ, 103k, 4.0, Auto, 242, stock gears, axles, and tires, K&N Cone, "Full Flow" exhaust (hollow cat + straight through glasspack). I consistently get 13.5 - 14 around town, according to the EVIC... or whatever the hell its called. I consider that pretty good seeing as how level ground is hard to find around here and I'm not too easy on the skinny pedal... Flat open highway, cruise set at 70, sees anywhere from 20-22.

Mobil1 in everything but the tranny... (And it still has issues)

2000 w/3 inch lift and stock tires/gears. Average for many thousands of miles (mostly city driving) is 15.9 mpg, according to the trip computer. It runs up to about 20-21 on the open road.

It depends on the how I drive.
I have a 99XJ Classic w/ 4WD, 4.0L, auto trans, Bridgstone Dueler 225/75R15 tires. I have a Borla Header and a Gibson catback exhaust.

On my weekly commute, ~40 miles per day round trip, ~200miles for 5 days, driving 75% of the time on freeway at 70-80MPH and 25% on street, and another ~50 miles on the street, I get anywhere from 15MPG to 18MPG.
If I take it easy 18MPG. If I'm overly aggresive or have done a lot of street driving, I end up getting close to 14MPG.

I've found that by setting the cruise at no higher than 70MPH I get ~20MPG+. Setting the cruise higher than 70MPH seems to cut down the fuel mileage.

After several years with the Borla header and Gibson catback exhaust, I can't really say that it improved my MPG any. I do believe that going up a decent steep grade on a freeway with the cruise control on, it doesn't downshift like it used to so there is some power increase.

I remember when I first got my XJ it had 215/75R15 tires and I swear I got up to 22MPG.. Haven't seen those numbers since. Of course the different size tires have affected that I'm sure. I replace the 215s with 235/75R15 which seemed to decrease my acceleration. It got better with the 225/75R15s.

OK I'll stop now.

MAP

rumblebelly said:
2000 XJ stock except for the 255/75/16 tires (not sure if stock size is smaller or not).

Stock would be 225/70R16.

80k miles on a '01 Limited, still on the original tires. I don't bother to keep track because it just makes me mad. :mad:

I think some are dreamin on my 99 2wd i get 13 in town and 18 highway and I baby it. Even less on my 87 4wd. Both stock 4.0 autos and 30's.

Only In A Jeep XJ said:
I think some are dreamin on my 99 2wd i get 13 in town and 18 highway and I baby it. Even less on my 87 4wd. Both stock 4.0 autos and 30's.

I had an 88 with a manual tranny, 4.0L, 4wd, 30/75/15 LT tires, dynomax super flo(/) muffler and cat with 2.5" tail pipe.

I got 21 mpg highway. I think the manual tranny helped the most.

Back