• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper Shock Mount Bolts

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
Well we all know that this is a stupid design, and that they break. I sprayed the PB blaster for a week in advance, I still broke three, i broke 2 ez-outs, i cut through the top, pounded them with a BFH. Did i do somthing wrong?

What is my next step?

thanks

welder and big hammer are your friends.........I would just weld the mounts onto the body and hit it with a couple of self tapping screws. I you need to get them off ever, cut the weld with small cutting tool.
My views are a worst case senario perspective way of doing it, and I can assure you that it will work and be as solid if not more.
My buddy drilled the old peice of bolt out with a diamond bit, and just put new ones in.

Brian

1- Use hammer and punch from UNDERNEATH, drive old nut out of body. Do this to all 4. They are just held on by a few tack welds. I use an air hammer to knock them out.

2- Drop 4 new 5/16" x 1.25" long bolts through the holes made in step 1. A pocket magnet will make this pretty easy. Install a retaining washer (like the ones that come on brake rotors and drums from the factory) over the threads to hold bolts in place.

3- Install shocks...

This is the easiest way I have come accress to fix this problem. You could even tack the bolt heads to the uni-body if ya wanted to.

All I can say is I had the same problem on my 01 , all 4 twisted off so we just welded studs on and mounted the shocks that way. dont know if its the best way but it worked . good luck man

i have hammered from the bottom w/ no luck, i mean i worked on just the broken bolts for a day. Would it help tp heat it up? or would that not be safe right next to the gas tank?

HA just happened to me this weekend. I couldn't get the bolts out so I put in some new self tapping bolts beside the original holes and am using washers to hold the shocks on. not the best fix I know but I guess I'll find out how it holds up.

One of my friends used some self-tapping too. First shock broke off in a week, and the second took a few months. Conditions? washboard roads at 20 mph are really hard and snap them off.

Weld, or get a full nut and bolt to secure it. Best to weld in a nut or bolt (whichever you prefer to have attached to the body)

if you can't knock it out - keep at it! One of them took me 15 min with an air chisel - All it took was about 100 hits from the right angle really.

Back