• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Cutting Off!

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever had a problem with the engine in their XJ suddenly cutting off? Mine does it on the street, without rain or anything and with no notice. There's not any sputtering or anything; it just quits! I can re-start it without a problem, but I'm looking for a way to fix this.

HELP,
Robert

Start by checking for a ground wire loose. Check the cable from the battery to the side of the engine block. There's also a wire-mesh ground cable that runs by the firewall (near the map sensor) to a bolt near the back of the valve cover.

Second the GND thing by RT...
Also I have had cut off problems related to the EGR valve

I recently had a similar thing happen. Turned out to be the EGR, still diagnosing whether it's the little vacuum relay on the fender or the EGR valve itself.

Basically I could drive around with no problem, then when stopped for a red light when it's time to move again I would gradually accelerate and stutter, cough, dead. It would re-start just fine but I had to mash the pedal and almost lay rubber to go anywhere. I'm sure that made me look like a complete dork!

I temporarily disconnected the vacuum line from the EGR solenoid on the fender and no more stalling. The whole time I'd have sworn it was my IAC or TPS going out.

BTW new to the forum have been doing ALOT of reading and fixing up my 'ol 88 XJ with what I have learned, Thanks.

Mark

Last edited:
Were it not for the fact that you can easily restart the engine, I would recommend you check your CPS and the CPS connector plug. When this thing cuts out, the engine will just die as if you turned it off at the ignition. When mine began to fail, it would usually take a few attempts before I could get the engine started again. Naturally, when the CPS totally failed I couldn't get the engine to start at all.

Erik
88 Comanche

CPS?

I am having a similar problem with my '97 XJ 4.0 Auto. The engine and guages/electricals go off once in a while during a hard right turn. I checked all the grounds and they seem to be ok but I am going to loosen and re-tighten them both just in case. I did the ign key on-off-on-off-on trick to get the codes, and all I get is a 12 and a 55.

One thing though, what exactly is a CPS (crank pos sensor maybe?) and where the hell does one find it on the 4.0?

Joe

Last edited:
the CPS is the crankshaft position sensor, and it's located on the drivers side of the bellhousing behind the engine. It's about the hardest thing on an XJ to get to. It is positioned so that it points to the flywheel and it detects special gaps in the flywheel that tell the computer information for ignition timing and fuel injectors.

My 93 XJ w/ 150k miles has been cutting off more and more while I'm driving, and has not started on the first try a lot. Finally just wouldn't start anymore, replaced CPS sensor and everything is great now. Thanks guys...

Hi everyone,

I had a similar problem but found it very fast, when smoke started pouring out of my stering colum, just behind the stering wheel. My ignition switch was going out, until it melted. I would be able to start the Jeep ok everytime, but then would let go of the key and the engine would just die. Sometimes it would conk out on me at a light. So I changed the ignition switch and all was well. Just trying to throw another option in the mix. :)

Alex

"I did the ign key on-off-on-off-on trick to get the codes, and all I get is a 12 and a 55."

On my '91 thats: 12) Memory Standby Power Loss (battery cable disconnected.) 55 is the end of codes, probably still the same...?

Back