• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 E-brake cable question

CTORT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Guys, this is my first time posting here. I have spent years on The Ultimate Jeep site and finally just broke the bounds of suction from there and am finding another home.!!!!

I hate to bring up another 8.8 Explorer question, but after searching here and elsewhere I don't have a clear answer. I am in just the first stages of the swap and am gathering all my things I'll need to know if out in a weekend.
The one Q I have is about the Grand Cherokee e-brake cables that everyone says you need (I have also heard you can engineer the stock 8.8 ones?).

It is the ZJ or WJ e-brake cables I am after? If it doesn't matter then does it matter if I order them for the disc brake ZJ or drum brake ZJ?

Ultimate Jeep Personal Gallery~~~
http://www.ultimatejeep.com/coppermine/thumbnails/album=299.html

Disc, Disc!!!!!

They have a rectangle at the end to go around the lever.
I just notched the lever and slid the XJ line into the groove and pulled it tight, but it was a real pain. With the ebrake cable ontop of the axle now you'll have more room for down travel if it's lifted.

I'll be using the 8.8 ones (if I ever decide to reinstall the e-brake). They are longer than the XJ ones but moving the box that houses the 2:1 cable split should be pretty easy.

Get ahold of MJR on this board, he is a fact mech... I think he has the part numbers of the jeep ebrake cables you are after. Also Mountainoffroad.com has some bolt in ebrake cables for around 120 bucks, if you can afford them... Welcome to NAXJA....HTH.

If you want to spend the $$$, M.O.R.E. makes a perfect cable for the swap. Saves some time and brain cells trying to figure it out. Depends on what your time is worth and the amount of $$$ you want to spend. Good luck.

Yeah this is to be the bottom of the barrel as far as funding goes for the swap so I'll run around with no e-brake before I buy M.O.R.E.

From what I am hearing, you can use some ingenuity and use either the 8.8 cables (don't have them) or the stock cables from the XJ (have '89 Dana 35)?? That would ultimately be the cheapest route.... :laugh3:

The 8.8 that I just picked up this past weekend has cables that I had never seen before, but they work. The inner cable is plastic coated. At the brake lever end he used a very small c-clamp style wire clamp and just bent it back on it's self and tightened it. Works fine. . .

this is what i'm doing there is a right up on the bottom of the site
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
ford88_ebrake_cable16_720.jpg

Lokar makes an adapter bracket to use a slug type cable with the lever style e-brake actuator.

I notched out one side and slid my YJ cable end into it.

smfordexplorer_clevis.jpg

korda said:
Lokar makes an adapter bracket to use a slug type cable with the lever style e-brake actuator.

I notched out one side and slid my YJ cable end into it.

smfordexplorer_clevis.jpg

Notches are good. I just got my clevis's & was thinking that was what I'd have to do... glad ya thunk it & done it before I hack into $27 worth of parts on a holiday weekend.

Thanks for posting the links to your posts in the 9" brake post. Helped more than ya know and scored some other links along the way.

Back