• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering issue

Pioneer89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ with 242 TC. When making slow turns, like into the drive way, I have noticed that the wheel jerks slowly as it straightens up. Almost feels like its bucking when in 4wd, very faint though. Is this a ball joint, track bar or tie rod problem or a steering box problem. It drives perfect on the highway, no pulling or death wobble.

Any help I'd appreciate it. I'm going to jack the front end up and check everything out but any info will help.

ParkCityXJ said:
I'd take a look at your U-joints (if that year still has them). Mine were shot and sounds like similar symptoms

Yeah, the 98's have u-joints. I'll check them out. Does anyone know if they are greasable. Not that it will fix them but I have never greased them and it may be why they are going out. The XJ has 95k so they are probably at the end of there service life.

Are we talking about being in 4 wheel drive on the pavement? If that's the case then I would expect a little bucking like you are describing. It's perfectly natural. If I put my 231 in 4x on dry pavement it jumps all over the place, it's normal. I would expect the 242 to be similar even in full time just not as harsh.

You do have it in full time while on pavement correct, not part time?

Dirk Pitt said:
Are we talking about being in 4 wheel drive on the pavement? If that's the case then I would expect a little bucking like you are describing. It's perfectly natural. If I put my 231 in 4x on dry pavement it jumps all over the place, it's normal. I would expect the 242 to be similar even in full time just not as harsh.

You do have it in full time while on pavement correct, not part time?

The problem is when I am in 2wd. It does feel a bit like FT on the pavement though. Both of the XJs I've had the 242 and I rarely use PT, never on pavement.

Just guessing but you might want to check your front hubs. I experienced symptoms like you describe in my 93 XJ a short time before the RF hub let go...on the highway...with a bus up my ass. Lotsa' fun!

Back