• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tempreature gauge

traildamage

NAXJA Forum User
hey I have an 88 Cherokee and upon startup my temperature gauge moves all the way to max..like it should but after that it stays at 100 or barely moves up. Ne ideas on whats goin on or if I just need a new one. I would appreciate it thanx.

More likely the sender is shot, not the gauge

Mine has done that for as long as I can remember and it's never been an issue. I think it's the sender and I just haven't bothered to get it replaced. Engine always runs at normal temp. Of all the times it's been at the dealership being worked on, none of the techs ever mentioned it so I'm not in a hurry to get it fixed.

My temp guage hadn't been working since I got my jeep so I recently replaced the sending unit. Fixed it right up. Remember, it's not the sensor at the front of the engine, (I assume you're running an I-6), it's on the very back of the engine, near the manifold. If you remove the electrical connector, the top of the sender is threaded like a screw. You can get one for about 11 bucks at NAPA. Good luck!

Back