• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

There's No Naked Blonds in this thread; Simple Question???

HaZakated

NAXJA Forum User
If I remove my front drive shaft for an 1800 mile trip to Utah, from Ohio, can this mess up anything being that the front drive shaft is part of the drivetrain?

I take someone thought your avatar was ofencive. Anyway as long as you have the 231 you should be fine. Remember the earlier xj's had the disconect axle.

cool....I get a vibe about 70 mph...not increadibly bad, but enough to get me pissed 2 or 300 miles down the road. I figure I probebly need a SYE.....just dont want to spend the $. Thanx man.
Brian

on a trip fron Nebraska to Ca, i vibrated my front DS to death and the Double Cardan section blew out in Elko, NV. Pulled the shaft - no problems.

didnt have any problems with the non-disco front end either.
Everything worked fine when in installed my new DS

P.S.
still not naked - but blonde
blonde.jpg

HaZakated said:
cool....I get a vibe about 70 mph...not increadibly bad, but enough to get me pissed 2 or 300 miles down the road. I figure I probebly need a SYE.....just dont want to spend the $. Thanx man.
Brian

The front output shaft of the transfer case doesn't have a slip yoke. Vibes from the front shaft are probably due to poor pinon angle or worn out joints.

I think thats what Im going to have to do whenever I take a long trip....My XJ runs perfect till I hit 70 mph, then vibrates just a bit, probably not enough to damage anything, just annoying. Im about 99.9% sure that the vibe is coming from the double cardan joint there. It dosnt look balanced. I also get a squal until the jeep warms up from that joint...think it needs rebuilt or replaced. I just would rather run that one into the ground before replacing it. Thanks for your help!
Brian

I just got done balancing the tires and lowering the transfer case...the vibes on acceleration are virtualy gone, but that little vibe remains. Is there a way to adjust the pinion angle more than I have already done, besides getting a SYE?

HaZakated said:
I just got done balancing the tires and lowering the transfer case...the vibes on acceleration are virtualy gone, but that little vibe remains. Is there a way to adjust the pinion angle more than I have already done, besides getting a SYE?

adjustable control arms for the front.

the rear pinion angle can be adjusted with shims, and shackle length

interestingly - the t-case drop makes the angle on the front driveshaft a little worse -

in short - pull the shaft and see if the vibe goes away... then you know if its front end or rear end related

Back